John Deere 820 transmission problem

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem #1  

LakeviewJD

Tractor
John Deere 820
Hello
I am new to this thread, and new to an old John Deere 820 3cy. My problem is the high range in the transmission is slower and under powered compared to low range. Could anyone give me some insight? Thanks Tom

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem #2  
Are you talking about High for a HI-LO trans (Turtle- Rabbit) with a lever on the left side of the dash?
Or do you the 4 spd trans with Park, Lo, Hi, and Reverse lever on the left and 1-5 thru 4-8 lever on the right, top of the trans?

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem #3  
Are you talking about High for a HI-LO trans (Turtle- Rabbit) with a lever on the left side of the dash?

I think an 820 utility tractor had no option for a hyd hi-lo(turtle-rabbit on dash).

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem #4  
I think an 820 utility tractor had no option for a hyd hi-lo(turtle-rabbit on dash).

That narrows it down. It might be the clutch is slipping and it would show more in higher gears. I would check clutch adjustment first.

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem #5  
I agree it's possible that the traction clutch is slipping in the higher gears.

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem
Or do you the 4 spd trans with Park, Lo, Hi, and Reverse lever on the left and 1-5 thru 4-8 lever on the right, top of the trans?

I have the 4 spd trans with Lo,Hi, Rev, and Park, Thanks

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem
We think your traction clutch is SLIPPING

Thank You !
Guys, you were spot on. It was the clutch out of adjustment. We just drove the tractor for the first time, and thought we had a gear problem between H and L . Thanks for the help! I will be checking back as we restore the tractor. Thanks Tom

/ John Deere 820 transmission problem #9  
I'm glad it was a simple adjustment