gland removal tool

/ gland removal tool #1  

fedo2022

Tractor
Massey Fergerson 165
anybody have any cheap ways to make a gland removal tool without buying one. trying to remove cylinders on front end loader. or another tool that will work?

/ gland removal tool #2  
Depending on the style of the gland, you could use a Pin-Faced spanner wrench, or a adjustable-hook style wrench. Available thru Grainger's or McMaster as well.
Rick

/ gland removal tool #3  
In the real world we use a pipe wrench or channel locks. Some consumers don't want the little tooth marks they leave. They can be cleaned up with a file. Most of the spanners suck and are a pain to use. Even in the dealership with the right spanners we ended using pipe wrenches or channel locks.

Brian

/ gland removal tool
thanks for the help...I think I will go with the pipe wrench or channel locks,,,,don't care if I make a tooth mark...hey brian,,I got one loose and continued to turn it but it doesn't seem to be coming out...so I can remove the cylinder..what am I doing wrong

/ gland removal tool #5  
Some aren't threaded, they're held in with a retaining wire. If you can post a pic I can help more.

Brian

/ gland removal tool
securedownload 1.jpgsecuredownload.jpgok Brian, here you go , I took both off the front end loader bucket, but I cant get the cylinder to come out to repack them...any ideas..thanks

/ gland removal tool #8  
Look for a set screw in the side of the barrel about a 1/2" or a little more from the rod end of the cylinder. Remove it, and using a soft punch or drift, drive the gland down into the barrel an inch or two. Remove the internal retaining ring from the I.D. of the barrel. Using the rod and piston like a slide hammer, remove the gland, rod and piston from the barrel all together. Before you start any of this, clean up all the dirt, oil and garbage from the exterior of that cylinder. If you are going to accomplish successful repairs, you need to learn how to be clean. You can't fix cylinders with that much crap hanging off them and expect them not to leak when you get done.

/ gland removal tool #9  
Here is the best gland removal too that I've seen. It's called a "Henderson Tool".

/ gland removal tool
yes your right about it being dirty....there is no set screw anywhere on the rod? unless your talking about the opposite end of rod looks like a nipple for grease?