Busted block on 950 John Deere

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #1  

jeepingjason

Tractor
950 John Deere
Hey guys,
I have been a reader for a while but just now posting with a big problem. The temperature don`t normally get 9 degrees in south Arkansas, but it did a few weeks back and you can just guess what happen to my 950 John Deere. I now have about a 6 fine hair line crack in the water jacket that is behind the starter just below the two 吐reeze plugs seeping water and also water pouring out of what looks like an inspection plate on the rear of the head. I don`t know what is behind the 3肺3 plate I can`t get it off and see in there due to being too close to the fuel tank. Not really worried about that too much though, I can get a new head if needed. The main concern would be the block. I do think these are the only damage. The tractor runs fine I ran it for 20 minutes the other day with a water hose keeping the radiator full, there was no water in the oil . I have read a lot here on the Lock and Stitch method having good success. I guess my questions would be. How thick is the water jacket on the 950 John Deere? And would this be thick enough for the tapping and plugging to hold up. And would Lock and stitch work on the water jacket?
Thanks in advance for your help. :eek::eek:

Danny
1978 950 John Deere

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #2  
I would try JB weld, have done it many times. If the engine ever over heats again you well have to redo it.
Just put a little grove along with the crack to give the JB weld more to hang onto. Hold the JB weld in place while it's setting up just cover with duct tape.

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #3  
You'll be VERY LUCKY if the block isn't cracked between the liners and if it is cracked between the liners it will take a lot more than JB weld to keep the H2O out of crankcase.

Attachments

• L101496________UN01JAN94.gif
    L101496________UN01JAN94.gif
    51.9 KB · Views: 231
   / Busted block on 950 John Deere #4  
We were taught in school that a 5% mixture of antifreeze was enough to keep the block from freezing. I tried it on a pumping unit that I had rebuilt and the frost plugs were on the ground come spring. The block was ok I just had to replace the frost plugs. I was lucky and decided that I needed to up the percentage. I would go along with Leejohn. JB weld does amazing things. You could also try a rad sealer though they do tend to plug up the rad if your coolant is full of junk and rust etc. As far as the inspection plate goes it's probably just bent. Just take it off and straighten it and make a new gasket out of some thick gasket paper and put it back together. Don't use any sealant on the gasket. They are designed to absorb water and swell and then seal. If you use silicone you don't let the paper absorb water. Good luck and let us know how your experiment turns out.

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #5  
You'll be VERY LUCKY if the block isn't cracked between the liners and if it is cracked between the liners it will take a lot more than JB weld to keep the H2O out of crankcase.

Yes that is right Jim, but he might not find that out until he gets it up to temp with the radiator cap on and maybe ran for awhile.

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #6  
Yes that is right Jim, but he might not find that out until he gets it up to temp with the radiator cap on and maybe ran for awhile.

Or finding water in crankcase can be as simple as loosening engine oil pan drain plug a few turns and watch the water trickle out around the threads of the plug or pulling dipstick and finding level way over full.

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #7  
For a water jacket crack, JB Weld epoxy. Or weld it. I use Super Missileweld stainless steel rod on cast iron-- stick weld, DC(+), 1/8" rod, 85 amps. Weld short beads (1" long), peen with a slag hammer or needle scaler while the bead cools, and allow to cool to near room temperature before starting the next bead. Use the backstep method to lay down the beads to keep the cast iron temperature low.

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #8  
Even when in a "'warm"climate. Why on earth wasn't a 50/50 mix of distilled water and HD diesel antifreeze being used? The water pump needs lubrication . The PH of the coolant has to be controlled. The boiling point of the coolant has to be raised . The wet sleeves must be protected from cavitation .
Who pray tell drained out and threw away the factory antifreeze.

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere
The tractor had anitfreeze in it just not enough ,The meter I had that I checked the water drainning in a bucket after it thawed out said it was good to 20 deg. There was a 50 /50 mix after a radiator flushing back in June but adding a little water now and then through the summer deluted it. This was a bone head mistake on my part, but most of the time a little anitfreeze goes a long way here in the south. Just my luck though this crack went buy 2 freeze plugs

crack.jpg

/ Busted block on 950 John Deere #10  
jeepingjason
I know everyone calls them freeze plugs, but they are casting plugs and do every little to save a block. By looking at the crack, you might of lucked out.