Tractor
    Ford 1720

Default Ford 1720 won't start

I have a 1989 Ford 1720 2WD with loader. Other than replacing the solenoid in 2013 I have had no issues with the tractor for years. I tried to start it a couple of weeks ago and it would only crank but not fire. The battery is strong (although getting weaker with all my cranking). I put fresh diesel in this year and the tank is full but it just won't fire after cranking for what seemed like 20 minutes. The glow plugs have not been replaced (since I've had it) and I noticed the indicator lights say they are not working (I turn the key counterclockwise and a light on the panel used to light up but does not now). I think its likely that I need 3 new glow plugs and it would help starting. Does anyone else out there have any other ideas?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

Default Re: Ford 1720 won't start

My 1720 cranks on the spot...
    Check to see that you are getting fuel to the engine first...
    If you are getting fuel then check to make sure that you are getting fire to the glow plugs...
    I think that there is a glow plug relay so that could be the culprit...

Tractor
    John Deere AR, a # of Farmalls, AC WD45, couple of Fords and a Massey Harris

Yes crack open each injector line and see if juice comes out while you are cranking. Make sure juice is diesel not water.

may can jump the glow plugs from the battery. Or shoot in a little starting fluid. key word is "little"

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

See if you have power to the GPs when the switch is set to glow. Might need help unless you got real long arms. Don't replace GPs unless you know that. Indicator going out could be wiring, key switch, indicator coil or bulb, or relay. Save your money and test first.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

is it making smoke? if no smoke after a couple start attempts.. it's not getting fuel.

i'd leave the start fluid for wasps and other things it won't blow up.

if the bat is good and she turns over good. just the heat from compression will start making smoke from incomplete burned diesel even if she doesn't start... so seeing smoke is a go / no go sign. if no smoke.. then think no fuel...
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    NH T-1520 HST, 48" MIE grapple, JD 5210 2WD, Terramite T5C, F-450/Terex T292

Depending on the temp and o'all condition of your 1720, it's not unreasonable to expect it to start without heating the GPs. It might also be easier to blame them than to expect 'em to 'go south' all at once. Er', unless maybe two were toast already and you've been starting with the one that just joined them.

+1 and +1 on posts #4 & #5. Find out what the motor isn't getting. If the fuel filter is new, there may be air in the system from changing it. If the filter has enough hours on it, it may be time to do so.

Tractor
    Ford 1720

Thanks for all the feedback. I've finally gotten back to diagnosing the problem. I've discovered no power is getting to the power bus feeding the glow plugs. But when it finally does start (now its warmer and it will start some of the time), there's a 1-3 sec pulse of power on the bus but nothing when I turn the key counter clockwise to activate the glow plugs. I believe its the relay but I have no idea which relay or where it is. Any pointers would be appreciated. Here's a pic of a part that could be the relay but I don't know if this is it or not.Ford 1720 won't start-2014-03-02-12-08-a

Tractor
    1983 1710 ford compact 4x4 diesel

Hi glbrooks my 1710 ford works this way, power taken from the key switch to the glow plug indicator then to the glow plugs bus bar, check to see if power on the switch is there all the time when you turn the key counterclockwise, if so check metal strip at glow plug indicator simple continuity check, check glow plugs connect one ohmmeter lead to the glow plug, touch the remaining ohmmeter lead to a clean ground and observe the ohmmeter reading, one-ohm reading = good glow plug, high or low reading = faulty glow plug- replace

regards

rickv3

Tractor
    Ford 1720

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. To get to the instrument panel to check for power I found that mice had a nest there (probably for years) and had chewed through 4 wires. This was near a cable connector behind the instrument panel. I spliced all of them for a quick test and all seems to work and start ok. I can see lights on the panel that I haven't seen in years. The glow plug indicator (heat light) will light momentarily when I start it normally (all starts fine now that its warm) but I still don't see power on the glow plug bar when I turn the key counterclockwise and the glow plug indicator light (heat light) doesn't light up either. There still may be a issue but not sure?

Tractor
    1983 1710 ford compact 4x4 diesel

Hi there check continuity at glow plug indicator, no continuity check switch, key switch to indicator check, connect one ohmmeter lead to the key switch terminal marked 19, connect the other ohmmeter lead to the glow plug indicator and observe the ohmmeter reading, low to zero reading good continuity high reading faulty wire replace, connect one ohmmeter lead to the key switch terminal marked 17, connect other ohmmeter lead to glow plug terminal and observe the ohmmeter reading, low to zero good continuity, high reading faulty wire replace hope this helps