Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota's

Default Re: Can I save badly checked tires?

I'd just put tubes in, you could spend the money on slime and then have to put tubes in, slime is a hit or miss thing.

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Quote Originally Posted by jodebg View Post
    I applied a soap solution to the sidewall and air was escaping all over the sidewall. I could hear the air coming through the tire.

A tube will hold air from escaping, but will it help keep the tire in tack for a while longer? If so, I'm thinking that the tube would
    help stabilize the shape of the tire better than slime?
    What size are you looking for? Front tire: 15x6.00, Rear tire: 23x8.50 ?

A tube will help but it could also split the tire apart. Is it all four tires? You can go to a local lawn mower repair place, or tractor dealer, as they usually have 10-20 older machines sitting there - get these tires used for cheap and tubes too.

The other thing if you get tubes, get the better tube with the threaded valve stem that locks in the rim because the valve stem without this can slip back in the tire, I did this last year on my cub and bought one without and it disappeared, so got two with locking nuts on the stems and problem solved $11 ea.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

On the scale of difficulty, what would it hurt to try the Slime first? It's the easiest thing to do, and if it works you're a winner. If it doesn't, You're just out the price of the Slime and it's a little messier when you dismount the tires to put the tubes in.
    -Jim

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

The entire side wall is leaking (air leaks everywhere) making it difficult to use slime?

I would have to lay the tire on it's side and hope that I get a good coverage on all of the sidewall, on each side.
    May be wishful thinking.

Will a badly checked old tire hold up with an tube inside of it?

Tire size 22x9.00x12

Any suggestions on getting the wheel off the axel. Don't think it was off since '89?

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

Been there with slime on sidewall leaks...doesn't work...and slime is expensive IMHO...spring for an inner tube...yes, it stops leaks and tire will hold together much, much longer than you think it will.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    Kubota B1550HSD

Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    Been there with slime on sidewall leaks...doesn't work...and slime is expensive IMHO...spring for an inner tube...yes, it stops leaks and tire will hold together much, much longer than you think it will.
    Agreed. Slime doesn't work on sidewalls. Even if you initially lay the tire down and roll the slime around it will soon just drain to the bottom. A tube is the only reliable, cheap option.

TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor

If it's leaking out the sidewalls I wouldn't even bother with the slime and go with the tubes.

I had 2 front tires on my Garden Tractor that's in my avatar and the tires were badly checked and leaking at the sidewalls from sitting for 6 years in the yard. My dad suggested to try some slime he had in his shed and I did try it and it didn't work.

I was then going to just get some tubes and go that route. Then I came across 2 good tires that were bought new a few years ago for another lawn tractor that we junked and never put on.

I totally forgot about those tires. I found them when I was going through stuff in our shop.

I'd recommend putting tubes in the tires and you should be good to go for a long time.

The slime would be a waste of time for sidewall leaks.

Chad

Platinum Member adirondackmtnman's Avatar
    Tractor
    JD 5045D

I'm with the idea of tubes...your tires will more than likely last you a good long while after being tubed.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Checking that has gone all the way thru the tire wall and causing leaking will slowly chew thru a tube as well. Flat free time will be real long if the tractor sits. Less if its worked regularly.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

The size I need is 22x9.00x12.
    This size seems to no longer be made.

What is an available size that will fit on this tractor...22x9.50x12?

Where is a good place to buy tires and tubes online?

What tube size will fit...they seem to run different in size than the actual tire numbers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast