Alternator

/ Alternator #1  

larryd314

Tractor
81 jd314 garden tractor
My charging system has quit working. So just to be different since I don't use my mower deck I'm thinking of using a small alternator mounted under the tractor where the mule drive would be and driving off the pto pulley.
Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

larryd314

/ Alternator #2  
My charging system has quit working. So just to be different since I don't use my mower deck I'm thinking of using a small alternator mounted under the tractor where the mule drive would be and driving off the pto pulley.

larryd314

Will it spin fast enough?

/ Alternator
I don't believe that would be a problem since it has a constant voltage. A typical car engine idles from 650 to 8oo and the alternator would be turning 1200 to 1500 rpm. and will produce 13.5-14 volts so that rpm chould be no problem.

larryd314

/ Alternator #4  
Starting might be easier, I guess, as your not turning the alternator.
Being on the bottom of tractor can you keep it out of mud and snow?
I guess if your hear tractor sputter, that's your sign that you forgot to turn on PTO.

/ Alternator #5  
Doesn't your PTO operate at 540 rpms? Assuming you operate your tractor at 2000 rpms, the pto is only turning 540 rpms. Plus all the dirt, weeds, seed, and junk on the ground will make short work of that alternator, plus a fire danger.

/ Alternator
I generally operate my engine at full throttle approx. 3400rpm. and control speed with hydro. most hydros work best like that.
It wouldn't hand as low as mule drive and I would put a shield on it similar to a mule drive.

larryd314

/ Alternator #7  
Why go and jackleg the tractor when all it needs is a stator or voltage regulator? Have you done any trouble shooting? Could be a simple 10 minute fix.

/ Alternator
Everything would be bolt on and something different.

/ Alternator #9  
But your pto is still only turn 540 RPMs. I still think it would be better and simpler to fix what you have and put your inventing ness to better use some place else. Please don't take me wrong, I think your creativity is wonderful. I just don't think this is the right point to reinvent the alternator mount. But good luck.

/ Alternator #10  

larryd314
I assume from your Profile, that you have something like this?
JD 314.JPG

Unless you already have an alternator with an internal regulator, it would cost less to fix the charging system.

It may just be some corroded connections or the voltage regulator.