Leyland 344 starts on full throttle

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #1  

JohnnySimplex

Tractor
Leyland 344
Just bought a Leyland 344. It has always been hard to start and now when it does start it runs on full throttle and can't be shut off. Only way I can stop it is to put my hand over the intake manifold.
Any suggestions??

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #2  
Does it use a Perkins diesel and a rotary injection pump, possibly a CAV? If so, it is in the internal linkage or governor of the injection pump. Are you mechanically inclined enough to remove the cover on the injection pump?

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #3  
Worked on a 344 before -it had the CAV injection pump and the motor was marked BMC- British Motor Company ?? always wondered if it was a Perkins design...

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle
It uses a Simms inline pump. Motor is BMC. But I guess its some sort of governor issue and I'm not familiar with them.

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #5  
G'day mate does your pump have a vacuum diaphragm on the front of the pump (should have two pipes going up to the top of the inlet manifold where the hose from the aircleaner joins it) ? I think it should from memory, if so then the diaphragm is shot. It is the same diaphragm as a fordson major and are available aftermarket from any one that deals with sparex or bepco.

Easy to fit give it a GOOD clean down where the diaphragm housing mounts to the pump and undo the two pipes, then the four bolts that go through the housing into the main body of the inj pump. When you get it off you will see how to fit the new rubber do not adjust the screw in the end of the housing as this is a damper and can be a pain to get right again.
Refit in the reverse order making sure to get the pin in the hook on the end of the rack ( check rack to make sure it slides back and fwd easy first ) .

Hope I have explained it good enough for you to understand.
Good luck

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my pump does not have a vacuum diaphragm on the front. So back to the drawing board.

Johnny

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #7  
Ok then take the big cast alloy sideplate off and check the rack movement it is prob stuck

Jon

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #8  
Ok then take the big cast alloy sideplate off and check the rack movement it is prob stuck

Jon

Agreed. Also, it probably has its own oil reservoir that probably needs to be drained, flushed and refilled to side check plug with 30 wt.

It's been a while and now have the tractor in the shed. You were on the money with the rack and the oil. It had no oil in it so filled the oil up and got the rack moving which was good. Problem now is number 2 cylinder has a weak flow of fuel to the injector and only runs on 3 cylinders. All 4 of the little pistons behind the rack are all moving, not ceased. Any ideas?? Thanks

/ Leyland 344 starts on full throttle #10  
Owned one of these British tractors for 40 years finally had to go orange due to health problems and old age.
A great group of helpful people from all over the world belong to:
Peatland Export Parts - Home
Join and you will quickly get advice from some of the people who were involved in the manufacturing and servicing of these great machines from day one.
Your solution will already be in the forum database but if you cannot find it just post a question and help will soon arrive. When joining be certain to post your location and you may find you have someone nearby your place who will come and help with your problem.
Do a Google search and you will also find the Leyland Club which has a wealth of historical and performance info horsepower testing done in the USA.
Sometimes you can get pdf copies of Owner's manuals and sometimes all or part of shop manuals.
Dave M7040