Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines?

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines? #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
I'm unsure of the model numbers to my opposed twin engine as I no longer have the model number sticker on the shroud.

I'm needing to order a new starter for the Briggs 18hp opposed twin engine that's on my garden tractor in my avatar as the starter went out a few days ago.

The starters listed on ebay look identical to the one I need. But when I ask they say it's for the V twin engines. They said they could check if I had the numbers from my engine. But I can't give them the numbers since I no longer have the numbers.

Anyone here know if this starter will fit an opposed twin briggs or have some numbers off of an 18HP briggs Opposed Twin 2 cylinder engine that I could send to them to be sure this starter will work?

New Starter Briggs Stratton 14 18HP 497596 394808 | eBay

I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Chad

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines? #2  
G'day those model numbers are usually stamped into the shroud as well

Jon

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines? #3  
I have found the engine numbers are stamped in the shroud but often hidden by the air filter housing.
They will be on the engine for certain as Briggs does not rely on a stick on label.
Dave M7040

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines? #4  
May I ask a question?

Do you know for a fact the starter is bad?
Does the starter roll the engine up to Top Dead Center, but wont roll it past?
If So, there can be another cause.
I have a nice new starter in the box, I bought, thinking that the starter must be bad, but it wasn't.
Let me know if you have any questions.

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines?
Thanks guys. I did find the engine numbers on the shroud as well. I looked everywhere on the shroud yesterday and even behind the air filter housing and couldn't spot it.

I looked again and the numbers were right there behind the air filter housing. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Sometimes I'll look to find something and then look again and it will be right where I looked before. lol

I'll do that a lot when I'm looking for tools. Even if I had just placed that tool where I know it should be. xd

Chad

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines?
May I ask a question?

Do you know for a fact the starter is bad?
Does the starter roll the engine up to Top Dead Center, but wont roll it past?
If So, there can be another cause.
I have a nice new starter in the box, I bought, thinking that the starter must be bad, but it wasn't.
Let me know if you have any questions.

We posted at the same time. :)

The starter is indeed bad. The engine turns over fine so I took the starter off and pulled it apart and the magnet inside was tore up and bushing was out in it.

I believe the starter gear didn't disengage and kept the starter spinning along with the engine which tore magnet up.

The bad bushing might've kept the gear too close to the flywheel gear not letting it disengage.

The starter I was looking at is indeed the correct one so I'll be ordering it and then I won't have to worry about starter problems for awhile.

Chad

/ Are the Starters the same on Briggs and Stratton V twin and Opposed Twin Engines? #7  
We posted at the same time. :)

The starter is indeed bad. The engine turns over fine so I took the starter off and pulled it apart and the magnet inside was tore up and bushing was out in it.

I believe the starter gear didn't disengage and kept the starter spinning along with the engine which tore magnet up.

The bad bushing might've kept the gear too close to the flywheel gear not letting it disengage.

The starter I was looking at is indeed the correct one so I'll be ordering it and then I won't have to worry about starter problems for awhile.

Chad

Ok thanks.