Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2011 Kubota MX5100

Default block heater not working

So I've had my block heated installed for about a year+/- and for the last month it keeps tripping the ground on the receptacle (tried several). I've tried pushing the cord in more to make sure it was in all the way, clean the ends on cord and tractor side. Still no luck. My only option I can think of is by a new one?

Any ideas?
    I like to push buttons that I dont know what they do to find out. Theres some I wont push anymore

Tractor
    Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,

Default Re: block heater not working

sounds like you have a failed block heater. Is it the freeze plug mount? if you have a multi meter I would tell you to check the resistance of the heater itself. If the plug end found at the heater is not corroded check your cord asap to see if the cord shorted out aainst the tractor frame or is internally shorted.

Tractor
    8N Ford

Try replacing the plug end of the block heater cord. That has happened to me a few times, the wire inside get stressed and break. Check for cracks along the whole cord from heater to plug.

Tractor
    2011 Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by 8N Ren View Post
    Try replacing the plug end of the block heater cord. That has happened to me a few times, the wire inside get stressed and break. Check for cracks along the whole cord from heater to plug.
    Which end?
    Im thinking the whole unit is bad. I just hope i dont have to replace the bushing the the heating element screws into
    I like to push buttons that I dont know what they do to find out. Theres some I wont push anymore

Tractor
    8N Ford

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeToys View Post
    Which end?
    Im thinking the whole unit is bad. I just hope i dont have to replace the bushing the the heating element screws into
    It could be the unit.
    The end I'm talking about is the one you plug into the wall receptacle, extension cord or timer, I don't know your set up.
    The reason I say that is because you keep tripping your ground on the duplex receptacle(s) in several spots as you mentioned.
    Every vehicle I've ever owned had a block heater and I've had to at least once replace the plug end, but here they snap off due to the extreme cold, like -45C.

Tractor
    Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,

If not the 3 prong outlet end I have seen internally shorted cords as well as badly corroded ends found directly at the block heater. Just as 8N said due to the cold weather these problems occur more. I see more corroded wiring all winter than I do any other time of the year

Tractor
    8N Ford

I agree DL, somewhat on the same topic I was clearing snow yesterday and I nipped the end off my block heater cord coming from the house to the end of the deck where I plug in. Thought I had and extra end on hand but of course not lol. Time to stock up on a few

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

I`d change the cord as the first step. If the heater is shot it would read open and no heat.
    I experienced tripping breakers and discovered that I was connected to a GFI circuit! The slightest water or even snow on the connections would trip the breaker. Maybe that`s your problem.

Tractor
    2011 Kubota MX5100

Just an update...
    Changed the cord and the same thing happened. Next step i just replaced all of it a month ago and working as it should....until i just plugged it back in and back to square 1

Is it a GFCI tripping? If so then you can check to see if the block heater has an issue with a multimeter. A typical block heater will draw 2 to 5 amps yet it only takes about 5 milliamps (.005 amps) of current leaking to ground to trip a GFCI. With a multimeter you can measure the resistance between both the "hot" and "neutral" connector on the plug to the ground connector. It should read an open circuit. If it doesn't then it's causing the GFCI to trip. You may find your only solution will be to plug the heater into a non-GFCI circuit. You could try to use an adapter that allows you to plug a cord with a ground connector into a two pronged receptacle.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast