JD 6000 Series/640 Loader Fold Away Joystick

/ JD 6000 Series/640 Loader Fold Away Joystick #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Does anyone have experience with the failure of this type of joystick? I don't know how many models JD used this on. It is a two piece tube that has a large knurled collar for tightening the lever in place, or loosening it, so tht you can kind of fold the top part out of the way when the loader is not on the tractor and you want to improve access from that side of the (open station) tractor.

It was a poorly working piece of crap from day one. Later it seized up and did so with a lot of play. No amount of that PB penetrating fluid nor extreme force would allow that collar to be undone. I just lived with it, even though it made the loader operation much less then desireable and tight.

I spoke with an outfit (not JD) that specializes in JD repair and they say they have simply welded many of these.

Yesterday something gave way, and now the lever just flops to one side making loader operation impossible. There is an electrical cable in the tube for a toggle switch atop the joystick so it would have to be dissassembled for repair or welding.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I would probably destroy the thing if I tried to Mig weld it. I don't know anyone (remarkably) that Tig welds. Could I try and Braze the thing? I want to do as nice a job as possible.

Thanks

PS I find the search function on this site useless. I probably don't know how to use it. Is there a way to put in several words in the search string and ALL must be present? Sure wish people would put in the make of what they are talking about, not just, need help with my 1011!

/ JD 6000 Series/640 Loader Fold Away Joystick #2  
6415loaderlever.JPG6415loaderlever2.JPG6330loaderlever2.gif6330loaderlever.gifIf you have the 3rd function switch in the knob of your loader, the wiring DOES run inside of the tube.
When I installed my 3rd function switch the wires did not have terminals on them. You crimp the terminals on after snaking the wires thru the tube. Plan on buying new terminals to crimp on. Terminals are part number R104919 you need 3. There is also a seal on each wire. You may need new ones. They are part number 57M7258.
I do not "fold" my lever. I did not give any better clearance folded.
Also the "lock" for lever functions never worked well on mine. Poor design.
I have been thinking of changing to the joystick that mounts between the seat and right side fender. It has fore and aft angle adjustment. Picture #4

/ JD 6000 Series/640 Loader Fold Away Joystick
Mine is just totally useless now! Curious how it works internally that lead to this total release yet still can't budge the knurled collar. I actually pulled it apart now. Looks like there is a place for a C clip. I will look at your pics later, trying to get snow cleared before dark! Another storm coming! Thanks.

Called JD just for the heck of it. Only available as an assembly $543.00 CDN! Fetch me the torch Jethrow!

/ JD 6000 Series/640 Loader Fold Away Joystick #4  
For a quick "until you have time to fix it right" splint it with some strips of metal and a couple hose clamps.

I finally managed to find the time to get at this. I managed to take it apart, cut off the wires at the switch, to be soldered back on later and took it to the bench.

I removed any plastic or rubber components ant put the heat and penetrating fluid to it. I can't believe how much force and fluid I had applied to it, in place and how much more it took in the vice to get it free but I did it. Now I have to repaint it and make sure it's well greased. Unfortunately, I noticed the plastic joystick is cracked and I will try and repair it. If worst comes to worst, I will buy another as I think they are available. I had bought years ago one to put atop one of my SCVs to control my Harley rakes electric valve.

I would advise anyone with a similar style of fold away joystick on an open station tractor to keep it well lubricated. This particular style uses a similar thread to a pipe thread.

/ JD 6000 Series/640 Loader Fold Away Joystick #6  
Maybe Never-Seize rather than grease?

I was thinking maybe that too. But that is the most miserible stuff to work with.

More GOOD news. The replacement handle for my handle (which is cracked) is ONLY twenty bucks and in stock at my local dealer! Not worth me trying to degrease it and silly glue it!