Ford Steering Arms

/ Ford Steering Arms #1  

yellowyj

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
My dad's Ford tractor (4000 or 4100) can't remember for sure, but anyway his steering arms & brackets keep breaking. This tractor has the aftermarket power steering kit on it. Does anyone know where to find parts for these tractors? Around here parts are getting hard to find, even at tractor grave yards.

He even mentioned converting it back to manual steering, because the power steering setup usually breaks several times a year. The parts have been replaced at least twice in the past couple of years, about $300-$400 each time for just brackets and arms. Usually when it breaks we weld it up until it can't be welded up anymore. It is at that point again. Any ideas?

/ Ford Steering Arms #2  
I'm sure there are lots of places to get these parts, Valu-Bilt, Southern Global, Western Kentucky Tractor Parts, however, I suspect they will just keep breaking since you have add-on power steering, and I would bet these parts would be much heavier constructed for a factory unit, given the added pressure exerted by the hydraulics vs. hand power.

/ Ford Steering Arms #3  
Is the attached photo similar to your steering system? Can you be a little more descriptive about the type of breaks in the steering arm? Can the arm be welded or reinforced? What type of shock mounting does the hydraulic ram have? Remember on standard steering the steering wheel will move - sometimes violently- when a wheel hits something. With addon power steering, the hydraulic cylinder holds the arm fixed, so it has no choice but to break under shock load. I'd suggest your Father either go back to non-power steering or figure out a way to shock mount the third-party steering. Otherwise, if he makes the steering arm stronger, something else might end up breaking. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 332795-steer.jpg
    332795-steer.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 312
   / Ford Steering Arms
The picture is similar. The power cylinder is on the left side (from operates seat) of the tractor.

There is a L-shaped bracket that the power steering cylinder mounts too. It has broken several times and has been rewelded many times. There is no room to gusset the L-bracket which would definately help handle the stress on this bracket. The L-shaped bracket is two flat pieces of steel welded into an L. One piece is about an inch thick, and the other is probably closer to 5/8 or 3/4 of an inch, can't remember for sure. Usually this piece breaks at the weld, but it has also broken at the bolt holes that hold it to the tractor. It has three bolts that bolt it to the tractor.

The steering arm on the left side continually breaks, also. It attaches to the spindle and the tie rod & power steering cylinder attach to this side (from the best I can remember). This is a cast piece which continually breaks around the keyway for the spindle. This is the second or third steering arm. Depending on the break they can sometimes be welded. We tried welding it this time, with no luck. The steering arms are getting harder to find around here.

Our idea is to go back to manual steering, but we are not sure exactly what all we need to do. It appears the steering arms and all the linkage goes with the power steering kit.

This tractor only needs to last about another year. My dad has talked about buying a new tractor next year, towards the end of the summer.

/ Ford Steering Arms #5  
It sounds like you are describing a steering system similar to the one attached to the Ford row-crop tractors. What year model is your dad's tractor?

You might be surprised to find that your New Holland dealer can get the original steering parts for your tractor so you can go back to non-power steering. Another source is Yesterday's tractors at ytmag.com or for parts to your steering kit try this link Parts at Mikes Tractors

/ Ford Steering Arms
I believe it is a 1975 Ford 4100. I did check and it is a 4100, but I am not sure of the exact year. I know it is a mid '70's.

I wish I had some pictures of it.

I will have to check some of those links out. I will also have to check with the New Holland dealer. A few years ago we checked with the dealer and it was going to be special order and expensive. We had good luck finding what we needed at tractor grave yards in the past. Not sure what we want to do now.

/ Ford Steering Arms #7  
I had a 1964 Ford 4000, but I'm sure your tractor is a lot different, but I think many of the steering components might be the same on lots of older Fords. The problem is that they can be hard to find or very expensive. Good luck. Maybe someone who knows a lot more than me will jump into this discussion and help you out. Here is a link to a family owned business dedicated to repair and refurbishing old Fords. They can be a little expensive, but I know they have lots of parts.

Alexander's