Woods RM550 leaking here (pic) ??

/ Woods RM550 leaking here (pic) ?? #1  

kyles974

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 with 200cx FEL...RM550 Woods Finish Mower...GradeMaster Grader....Ratchet Rake

taking a screen shot

Ok, last year I tried jd cornhead grease because my finish mower was leaking oil. Well the gearbox still leaks out the cornhead grease.
Now that I finally got around to taking it back off....this is what I see.
Someone mentioned using a Speedy Sleeve. Would a speedy sleeve work for this?
If I remember correctly I couldn't get this wheel off last time I was going to try to replace the seal. (This is why I went with trying the grease)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this fix now my oldest son has moved out and I am not using a 42" riding mower to mow my couple acres. ...lol....well I will if I have to...but the 72" finish mower is fast!! Lol

/ Woods RM550 leaking here (pic) ??

free image hosting

Ok...it's coming back to me...lol
I did get the wheel off. I cleaned up the shaft so if I had to take back off. (Good thing..lol)
This is where I am stuck.

Does ANYONE know what I would have to do from here?

/ Woods RM550 leaking here (pic) ?? #3  
You should be able to remove the seal by carefully driving a small screwdriver between the outside diameter of the seal and the housing an pry the seal out, they are available from your local Woods dealer for around $15.00. Looks like the have several sizes listed depending on the serial of your mower so it might be good to take the serial number with you when you go to pick one up.

You should be able to remove the seal by carefully driving a small screwdriver between the outside diameter of the seal and the housing an pry the seal out, they are available from your local Woods dealer for around $15.00. Looks like the have several sizes listed depending on the serial of your mower so it might be good to take the serial number with you when you go to pick one up.

Ok...didn't realize this was the seal...dang...I was close last summer when I took apart to repair and then decided to try the cornhead grease. Well...out in shop now...I will give it a try.

Oh...and yes..you are correct....depending on serial number....I figured that out last summer...kinda a pain when numbers are stuffed up a bit...lol

Ok...as I try to pry out with a screwdriver. ..it isn't moving. So I sit there and think...there are these two holes....gotta be for a punch to puch out or has to be threaded...so I had to grab pipe wrench and bang away....ha..ha...it's unscrewing

photo share

imgurl

(Sorry mods for double posting...on my phone and only way I can posts pics)

But here it's off! :)

screen shot

This seal was loose inside.

So if ANYONE can help from here....because it doesn't look like anything else can come out this way.....and I'm sure hoping I don't have to take the gearbox totally apart to get a new seal in?? Plus...since this has a "key" slot...I assume a speedy sleeve will NOT work?????

I've never used a speedy sleeve.

(Oh...and my local woods dealer is hours away...so it's not like I can just drive there and ask them...)

/ Woods RM550 leaking here (pic) ?? #9  
kyles974. Try going to the messicks.com site, click woods, entre model # . You should be able to see view of gear box. Also can download a manual from the WOODS website lt190b

Yes...I have been there and seen the diagram, but it doesn't really show how it goes together.
As for manual....I emailed them because my model isn't there.

So I was hoping someone that has repaired their might chime in.
Worst case...I have a good thread that one can use for reference in the future?
....or the "don't s" ......lol