JD 2320 Leaking at shim on top of gear case. Grinding noise when spindle turns.

/ JD 2320 Leaking at shim on top of gear case. Grinding noise when spindle turns. #1  

arodrigz

Tractor
JD 2320
Hi all, just picked up a new to me single bottom plow and was plowing up my garden spot when I heard some popping noises coming from the front left wheel when going backwards. Took a look at the gear case and found the back of it was covered in oil. Took it to the barn and pulled of the front wheel. Everything looks intact. The oil seems to be coming from the shim area (part number M808574) on top of the lower gear case (M807511) where it bolts to the upper gear case (LVU803534). When I hand turned the spindle it made a grinding sound and was binding up in a couple of places. I noticed it was in 4wd so took it out and it turned better but still was gritty and seemed to want to lock up in a few spots. I called the dealer down the street and was told that it sounds like an MFWD (I think that's what he said) seal has gone bad and that it was pretty common and that they put very thin oil in those things! So I asked how much he thought it would cost to repair and he answered "shouldn't be more than $600 unless some of the gears are stripped then it will be a lot more."

What!:eek: Ok, for some that might not be much $, but I don't have it right now and need the tractor. I'm looking at the parts diagram and it looks pretty straight forward. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic but have managed to do many vehicle repairs in my life including wheel bearings, half shafts, etc. It usually takes me longer than it should, I seem to always forget to put something together right and have to redo part of it, and get so frustrated I want to kick something, but it gets done, lol! So anyway, how hard is this to fix?

/ JD 2320 Leaking at shim on top of gear case. Grinding noise when spindle turns.
Well, i couldn't wait so dug in. Found that the bearing at the gear on the pinion shaft was blown to bits. All the gears look fine so I think if I clean it out and change the bearing i should be good to go. Here are a few questions:

1. Whats the best way to clean the metal fragments out of the gear case?
2. If the shim between the upper and lower gear case look ok does it need to be changed?
3. Before taking it all apart the gear case assembly along with the steering arm assembly had some play in it. I could pull it to me and push it away from me about an 1/8th inch or so. I'm guessing it's because the bearing blew up and was doing nothing to keep the pinion from moving. If my assumption is incorrect someone let me know. Im thinking this will go away with the new bearing.
4. Anything special that I need to do to the bearing? In my old car id grease pack the bearing but these are in oil?
5. Finally, once i put it all together do I fill the oil at the oil fill on the opposite side? Im asking because I couldnt tell how the oil would get from the axle housing into the lower gear case.