Loader bucket repair

/ Loader bucket repair #1  

RonC

Tractor
John Deere 770
Loader bucket repair

I recently purchased a JD 770 with a model 70 loader. At one time the loader bucket appeared to have had something attached to it. There are twelve holes approx one half inch in diameter spaced in a semi straight line about six inches in from the front edge of the bucket. What would be the best way to repair the holes /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Loader bucket repair #2  
Re: Loader bucket repair

Ron,

Them holes are probably for a tooth bar or something like that. If you wish to fill them I would just have someone weld them shut and grind smooth. If the holes are fairly good size your welder guy can fill them with a small round plate of some sort and then fill with a weld.

Murph

/ Loader bucket repair #3  

what are the holes hurting? if it were me i would just leave them the way they are, not enough dirt would ever leak out thru them to worry about it.

/ Loader bucket repair #4  

Hi the holes in the bucket you are talking about are for the cuting edge to be bolted in place on some aplications but most of the time they are welded in place and in you fill the holes with weld you will weekend the cuting edge and you will not be able to replace it down the road when it wares out and it will so I would leve it like it is I work on them all the time and I have two loaders that are the same way

Tweld

/ Loader bucket repair #5  

Sounds like the previous owner may have converted the bucket to a manure carrier. That's described in your loader manual, if you got one with the tractor.

If you don't want them, have the plug welded.

/ Loader bucket repair #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi the holes in the bucket you are talking about are for the cuting edge to be bolted in place on some aplications but most of the time they are welded in place and in you fill the holes with weld you will weekend the cuting edge and you will not be able to replace it down the road when it wares out and it will so I would leve it like it is I work on them all the time and I have two loaders that are the same way
)</font>

but he said they were six inches in from the edge, if they were for a cutting edge they would only be about 2 inches in at the most, unless it was a huge loader or something. i think that its more likely someone had a makeshift toothbar or manure tines attached at one time.

/ Loader bucket repair #7  

Dig out the stick welder and the grinder. This is your chance to polish up on your welding ability. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Loader bucket repair #8  

The bolt holes for a cutting edge are about 4" from the edge on a Case backhoe. You need to call your dealer to find out if they have replacement bolt on cutting edges for your model and how far back the holes would be to install it.