Tractor
    John Deere 770

Default Loader bucket repair

I recently purchased a JD 770 with a model 70 loader. At one time the loader bucket appeared to have had something attached to it. There are twelve holes approx one half inch in diameter spaced in a semi straight line about six inches in from the front edge of the bucket. What would be the best way to repair the holes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Default Re: Loader bucket repair

Ron,

Them holes are probably for a tooth bar or something like that. If you wish to fill them I would just have someone weld them shut and grind smooth. If the holes are fairly good size your welder guy can fill them with a small round plate of some sort and then fill with a weld.

Murph

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader

what are the holes hurting? if it were me i would just leave them the way they are, not enough dirt would ever leak out thru them to worry about it.

Tractor
    245 Massy,30 Massy Back hoe, Case Loader

Hi the holes in the bucket you are talking about are for the cuting edge to be bolted in place on some aplications but most of the time they are welded in place and in you fill the holes with weld you will weekend the cuting edge and you will not be able to replace it down the road when it wares out and it will so I would leve it like it is I work on them all the time and I have two loaders that are the same way

Tweld

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Sounds like the previous owner may have converted the bucket to a manure carrier. That's described in your loader manual, if you got one with the tractor.

If you don't want them, have the plug welded.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi the holes in the bucket you are talking about are for the cuting edge to be bolted in place on some aplications but most of the time they are welded in place and in you fill the holes with weld you will weekend the cuting edge and you will not be able to replace it down the road when it wares out and it will so I would leve it like it is I work on them all the time and I have two loaders that are the same way
    )</font>

but he said they were six inches in from the edge, if they were for a cutting edge they would only be about 2 inches in at the most, unless it was a huge loader or something. i think that its more likely someone had a makeshift toothbar or manure tines attached at one time.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Dig out the stick welder and the grinder. This is your chance to polish up on your welding ability. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The bolt holes for a cutting edge are about 4" from the edge on a Case backhoe. You need to call your dealer to find out if they have replacement bolt on cutting edges for your model and how far back the holes would be to install it.