John Deere 4100 will not turn over

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #1  

buddylee63

Tractor
John Deere 4100
The other day I went to put my mower deck back on my John Deere 4100 hydrostatic tractor. My tractor was at one end of the building, I started it with no problem and drove thirty feet and shut it down. I hooked the deck up without any issues and went to start it up. I turned the key over to the first position and I always listen for the two clicks( not sure if I need to or not). I went to start it up and nothing. It was like it was still in gear. I move the high/low gear selector and made sure it was in neutral and went to try to start it again....the same. When I turn it to the first position I get the two lights on the left side of the instrument panel and I hear the two clicks which I am guessing to be the fuel pump. Not knowing a lot about what to do, I started by cleaning the battery cables, all good and tight. I checked the four fuses under the hood and all OK. Unsure what else I can do. Any help would be appreciated!

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #2  
Since it had just started. My thought would be a safety switch either came disconnected when putting the mower on. Check that the PTO is off and that the hydrostatic pedals are in the neutral position.

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #3  
The other day I went to put my mower deck back on my John Deere 4100 hydrostatic tractor. My tractor was at one end of the building, I started it with no problem and drove thirty feet and shut it down. I hooked the deck up without any issues and went to start it up. I turned the key over to the first position and I always listen for the two clicks( not sure if I need to or not). I went to start it up and nothing. It was like it was still in gear. I move the high/low gear selector and made sure it was in neutral and went to try to start it again....the same. When I turn it to the first position I get the two lights on the left side of the instrument panel and I hear the two clicks which I am guessing to be the fuel pump. Not knowing a lot about what to do, I started by cleaning the battery cables, all good and tight. I checked the four fuses under the hood and all OK. Unsure what else I can do. Any help would be appreciated!
Do you have a volt meter? Check the voltage at the battery while hitting the key. See if your voltage is changing when your hitting the key. If your not hearing anything then the starter is probably not engaging at all. Voltage should be at least 12.5 volts at all time and should still be at least 9 volts whole under a large load such as cranking over an engine.

I fully agree with JD5210. You may have something that disconnected and is not allowing the transfer of power to the starter.

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over
Do you have a volt meter? Check the voltage at the battery while hitting the key. See if your voltage is changing when your hitting the key. If your not hearing anything then the starter is probably not engaging at all. Voltage should be at least 12.5 volts at all time and should still be at least 9 volts whole under a large load such as cranking over an engine.

I fully agree with JD5210. You may have something that disconnected and is not allowing the transfer of power to the starter.

Thank you both for your time an I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

I am clear about the safety switch. I wiggled the pedals and I hooked up the voltage meter and it read 12.5 and did not move when I started to crank it. So I took the PTO switch out of the instrument panel and made sure it was hooked in the harness plug thoroughly and still no turn over. I got to messing around with the volt meter and checked to see if there was power on the plug going to the PTO switch and I had power. I plugged the PTO switch almost all the way in and then checked to see if there was power on the three terminals and there was none. Does that mean the switch is bad or am i totally off base? Is there a way, without messing something up, to by pass the switch or do I just need to replace the switch and go from there?
Again thanks for your time and patience.

BL

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #5  
Did you check to see if the pto selector lever is engaged correctly in one the proper positions. Front, rear, or both. That happened to me one time lever somehow got moved out of place and nada...no starty! :rolleyes:

Just tried the PTO shift in multiple positions and still No start.
Thanks.

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #7  
If you run 12 volts to the "S" terminal on the starter it should start. For some reason the starter is not engauging at all. I have to do it to forklifts and other engines from time to time for different reasons. Its safer to do this with two people as one can make sure the tractor will not move. If needed you can do this. You can do this with a remote start button from the seat of the tractor. One wire on the positive battery terminal and one on the S terminal of the starter. This way you could drive it to a garage etc to work on it. Your wire going to the S terminal could have corroded out etc

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #8  
At this point it sounds like you problem is a little more complex, than a wire came lose. It seems you know how to use a volt meter. My suggestion is go to selectmanuals.com and get the tech for $24.95. Look up the starting system and start tracing the wiring system. The tech manual should answer your question on the PTO switch. Since nothing is happening when you turn the key, start with the safety switches.

/ John Deere 4100 will not turn over #9  
When I had my 4100 that happened to me twice. I removed the left pannel and jiggled the wires it started right up. Talked with a JD service guy and he told me the wireing is fuseable. I had and still have my doubts but it worked. The second time I removed the plug-ins to the ignition switch and cleaned them. Never had another problem.

At this point it sounds like you problem is a little more complex, than a wire came lose. It seems you know how to use a volt meter. My suggestion is go to selectmanuals.com and get the tech for $24.95. Look up the starting system and start tracing the wiring system. The tech manual should answer your question on the PTO switch. Since nothing is happening when you turn the key, start with the safety switches.

Ok got a little more tinkering done and here what I have come up with. I am still checking wires and electrical. I replaced the pto switch and still nothing.

Got to thinking. When I shut it down I was still rolling a little. (Man was that stupid....maybe). I tried to move the tractor with a winch and it would not move. The gear shift will move and it feels like it comes out of gear. Is it possible that it is stuck in gear and is there a way to manually move it to neutral?

Going to look into the manual right now.
Thanks
BL