Perkins air in fuel

/ Perkins air in fuel #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
So about a week ago I was using my Massey 241 to clear the last (I hope) snow of the year, and it started running a little rough, the idle jumped about 150rpm from it's usual, and while I was heading back to the barn, it quit. On a whim I used the prime lever on the lift pump, and that got it started, but it quickly quit again. I did maybe 75 strokes on the prime lever, and was able to get it restarted, and running long enough to back it into the barn.

I figured the fuel filter was clogged, but the sediment bowl looked clear. I put a complete new filter assembly on it because the old one had dried seals, and I was an idiot and broke the glass bowl on the original one (it's about the same price to buy a filter and glass bowl as a complete assembly). I got it all back together, followed the instructions for purging air from the system, and checked the air filters (blew them out with compressed air) while I was at it. The engine started and seemed to be running okay. I let it idle for maybe 20min while I was cleaning up, then decided to run it up and down the road for a few minutes just to make sure it was running fine. I went a bit less than half a mile, turned around, and came back...the whole time in high gear at wide open throttle. Things seemed okay until I closed the throttle, and turned into the driveway....the engine quit. I ran about a hundred strokes on the prime lever, and it started, then quit...did that a few times until I got it running long enough to jump on, increase the RPM, and get it in gear.

After I got it back in the barn I looked over all the fuel lines from tank to pump, to filter, to injector pump, and then noticed there were air bubbles in the filter sight bowl...big ones. I got the engine running again, and cracked the #1 and #3 injectors...pure foam coming out, but it was running. I could watch new bubbles get drawn down through the bottom of the filter elements, and then up into the center, so clearly it's sucking air somewhere between the filter and the pump. I checked the oil in the crankcase, and it's normal, no signs of fuel.

Could the seal/diaphram be leaking in the lift pump enough to let air in, but not put any fuel in the crankcase? The lift pump looked like it was a little wet around the cork seal that divides the top, and bottom...but there's been a lot of fuel sloshing around the whole area while I was working on it over the past week.

I didn't see any spots where the fuel lines appeared to be wet, or fittings that were loose, so I'm considering just trying a new lift pump next.

For reference, the engine is a Perkins 903.27 with less than 1400hrs on it (late 1999-early 2000 production).

Thoughts?

/ Perkins air in fuel #2  
your sucking in air someplace, spray some wd 40 over the lift pump and see what that does.

/ Perkins air in fuel #4  
Check lines pre lift pump for rubbing against brackets, ect.

/ Perkins air in fuel
Check lines pre lift pump for rubbing against brackets, ect.

I did check that quickly, but will do a better job tomorrow.

Tried the WD40 trick....didn't see anything unusual.

/ Perkins air in fuel #6  
G'day check the tank line for blockages maybe there is something floating around the pickup.

Jon

/ Perkins air in fuel #7  
I agree check for good fuel flow from tank. Is tank vent plugged?

/ Perkins air in fuel
I agree check for good fuel flow from tank. Is tank vent plugged?

It certainly can't hurt to check that, but if I'm getting lots of fuel flow at the injectors, how would it be causing the problem of air in the line?

/ Perkins air in fuel
I didn't have time to disconnect the fuel inlet at the lift pump, but I checked all the supply, and return lines/fittings, etc and they all look fine. A couple of the fittings weren't as tight as I'd like, but nothing changed after tightening them. It'll start, and run, but it's sucking large bubbles down into the filter sight bowl. I tried spraying WD40 on all the connections, and didn't notice anything unusual.

Anybody know anything about the seal/diaphram configuration on the lift pump? Could it be sucking air into the lift pump, and not putting any in the crankcase sump?

/ Perkins air in fuel #10  
It is possible. That lift pump is not the most robust. It may be possible that the FIP has enough draw at full speed to draw enough fuel to run at but at lower speed it needs help. Grasping at straws here. I think the same lift pump was used, and possibly is still used on unregulated engines, across the board. The only way I know to test for sure is to replace but dealer mechanic may have advice.