Ford 4000 Diesel won't start.

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #1  

rpruette

Tractor
Ford 4000
The engine turns over but no smoke is coming out the exhaust. Know it is getting fuel. Open the injector lines on each cylinder and fuel drips.

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #2  
Welcome to TBN.
What year, how many hours, when last full filter change, inc fuel filter?
Injectors should be spraying fuel, not dripping....

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #3  
Older 4 cylinder 4000 (like an 841,etc) or newer 3 cylinder ?

Was it running then just stopped? Did you run it out of fuel?

More data needed for a helpful reply.

If you did run out of fuel, you can often get pulled by a truck with the tractor in high gear and after a bit have it fire up. It helps to fill the tank up all the way. As if you didn't know, old diesels are a PITA to get fired up after running dry!

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #4  
Older 4 cylinder 4000 (like an 841,etc) or newer 3 cylinder ?

Was it running then just stopped? Did you run it out of fuel?

More data needed for a helpful reply.

If you did run out of fuel, you can often get pulled by a truck with the tractor in high gear and after a bit have it fire up. It helps to fill the tank up all the way. As if you didn't know, old diesels are a PITA to get fired up after running dry!

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #5  
I agree on tow start. I once owned a 3000 that if allowed to run out of fuel was a pain in the backside to get running again. After I'd get tired of bleeding injector lines to no avail then I tow it. In less than 10 ft it would fire up and run like a champ.

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #6  
Jim why would tractor start by towing and not start with starter turning engine over, I respect you opinion but even if run out of fuel if bleed properly it should start. Original post "The engine turns over but no smoke is coming out the exhaust. Know it is getting fuel. Open the injector lines on each cylinder and fuel drips." something is not right here

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #7  
towing turns motor faster

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #8  
If turning motor faster is the solution than there is a bigger problem, ie loss of compression? I am not trying to start a fight with anyone here just trying to understand.

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #9  
If you crank it and don't see some vapor coming out the stack after a few tries at starting, I'm not so certain you're getting fuel in the cylindesr. Was it running well the last time you used it? I have had a filter stop the fuel flow while I was mowing. It just finally clogged up. When did you last change the filter? Do you have full flow from the tank to the filter? Older tractors often have crap and corruption that clogs the tank outlet strainer so even with a new filter they won't run or will run with reduced power.
If your fuel delivery is good clear to the injector pump, a burned valves or low compression are the problem OR the pump is defective.

/ Ford 4000 Diesel won't start. #10  
If turning motor faster is the solution than there is a bigger problem, ie loss of compression? I am not trying to start a fight with anyone here just trying to understand.

Towing turns engine faster which turns inj pump faster than the starter has the capability. All I know is my Ford 3000 was very difficult to bleed/start when it ran out of fuel by my employee which happened several times over the yrs of ownership because the fuel gauge didn't work. Having worked for a dealer in service dept for over 20 yrs before I went into custom hay baling business I've had plenty experience bleeding diesel inj systems. But once I've bleed the air out and have a "no start condition" then I'll tow start as long as "no hyd type trans" are involved.