Oliver #64 Grain Drill Help!

/ Oliver #64 Grain Drill Help! #1  

jwljr1

Tractor
Ford 3000
I just bought this drill back in Febuary. I purchased a manual from the Floyd county museum. I'm fixing to plants some soybeans and fertilize at the same time. The only thing I can't figure is what type of feeder I have for the fertilizer. The manual says it could be a e-712, e-751, or b-2402-e. If it helps any it is the 13 x 7 planter. Thanks for any help Jerry

/ Oliver #64 Grain Drill Help! #2  
I'm assuming you need to know what type of feeder because they all have different drop rate am I correct? Finding out which one is which is going to be difficult at best I'm guessing.

If worse comes to worse you could do some field testing to find out which one it is. I'm assuming they are all based on pounds per acre. You could mark off an acre (or half acre and use half the amount of fertilizer the manual says) set the drill for so many pounds per acre and put the exact amount fertilizer in the bin than go drop your fertilizer. Go with the middle one of the three drop rates per feeder.

After your done, If you run out exactly after one acre thats the correct feeder setting, If you have some left over it's the lower drop rate one and if you empty prematurely it is the feeder with the heavier drop rate at the setting.

After your done with the season be sure to spray that fert. bin down good with water and spray it down with kerosene or diesel fuel. Finding one with a functioning fertilizer bin is a rare find and it requires some preventative maintenance to keep it that way.

/ Oliver #64 Grain Drill Help! #3  
I restored an old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill a few years ago (10-ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers). I had all the manuals but figured I should calibrate the feeds myself. So I jacked up the drill, put some fertilizer or seed in the hopper, put plastic boxes under the drill. The drill has 4-ft diameter steel wheels (very old fashioned). I turned the wheel 100 revolutions and weighed the stuff in the boxes. From the half- width of the drill (each wheel drives 10 of the 20 seed cups), the circumference of the wheel, number of revolutions and the weight, I calculated the area covered and the lb/acre. Repeated this for several settings of the feed rate control. It took a little time but eliminated the guesswork.

Good luck

/ Oliver #64 Grain Drill Help!
Thanks for the help yaw! I got up to my place and was setting up my planter, and saw where it has the e-751 feeders. I will have to do some research and try and find some of the b-2402-e. But here is another problem. When i started planting I set it up about 50 lbs per acre and dumped 100 lbs in. I have a 2 acre crop. about 3/4 threw the feild I checked the bin, not very much gone. I uped the gear box to 75lbs per acre put another 100lbs in, done a couple more rounds, couldnt really see much gone. To make a long story short, I kept upping the setting to the maxed. Ran over the feild 3 complete times and still have about 50lbs left in the hopper. I guess I will take the cover off the gear box and see whats happening inside of it.