Differential Lock Staying On

/ Differential Lock Staying On #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
Could use some experienced help from members for me to understand what might be going on with Landini Mistral 50. Today my spouse and I were post pounding vineyard posts when we noticed the diff lock light came on and stayed on. I had also noticed the tractor crab walking around when turning. This tractor's differential lock is an electric switch(button) next to the seat and may have been hit when using the aux control valves. It locks both front and rear differentials. But regardless of how it came on I have not been able to disengage it. Supposedly applying the brakes should do it but no luck thus far. COuld this be as simple as a switch or relay gone bad? Any ideas on how to follow up are much appreciated.........Gary

/ Differential Lock Staying On
Had a discussion early this morning with a mechanic at Paige Equipment in Williamson NY who supports Landini service. He was very helpful and instructive on leading me through what to check first and what to expect for results. Clearly the first most important piece was to disengage the electrically activated diff lock. Applying the brake pedals should turn off the diff lock via a dual button switch that is released when applying either pedal. These switches have seen better days so I checked them and reset their position as they were not depressed when the pedals were at rest. That enabled me to turn off the diff lock. However the differential lock would set again and I am at the point now to determine what has changed to trigger the differential locking again. Might be a faulty switch, relay, or frayed wires off the switch. At least for now I can use the tractor for what I'm doing without concern of having the diff lock on while turning. Part of me says replace the button diff lock switch, the relay, and the 2 brake pedal switches with a followup to see what happens.

/ Differential Lock Staying On #3  
A simple test light should tell you if the activation switch is keeping things energized all of the time. Seems it is, if it keeps resetting itself. If it lights the test light on both (I'm assuming it's just a two pole switch) tabs of the switch, you've probably found the culprit.

Replace one thing at a time... Replacing 3-4 items at once does not tell you what the exact problem is, if it happens again.

/ Differential Lock Staying On
A simple test light should tell you if the activation switch is keeping things energized all of the time. Seems it is, if it keeps resetting itself. If it lights the test light on both (I'm assuming it's just a two pole switch) tabs of the switch, you've probably found the culprit.

Replace one thing at a time... Replacing 3-4 items at once does not tell you what the exact problem is, if it happens again.

DJ54 - Thank you for the reply and information on troubleshooting. Yes it is a simple 2 pole switch. I will test the switch later today. ....Cheers, Gary

/ Differential Lock Staying On #5  
I have a landini vision 105 and the diff lock is staying on. If I depress the brake pedal slightly the lock releases. The only switches are the 2 brake light switches. Could it be a shuttle valve that has a broken spring or something?

/ Differential Lock Staying On #6  
I'd start by eliminating the simple ones. Is the oil old, is the oil viscosity ideal for this year's cold winter. Is the hydraulic filter old & or is it there a premium filterfor the lower temperatures... Don't mean to oversimplify your issues.

/ Differential Lock Staying On #7  
Treat the following as a comment because I don't know how your dif lock is supposed the work.

On my Kubota if I engage the dif lock it is common for it to remain engaged after I release the lever IF I am still in greasy going where one wheel would spin. It pops out when I get to solid ground. The operators manual says when this happens then just tap the brakes to release it.

gg