Mud Puddle - Now what?

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #1  

40_acre_mule

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
If the picture appears, you can see that I dunked the front end in the drink.
I shut it off just a second or two after the exhaust went under.
It's been pulled out and I figured to let it sit a couple days.
Then I'll check the fluids for water before I try to start it up.

Anything else I should do

Attachments

• Sunk Tractor 3.jpg
    Sunk Tractor 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,949
   / Mud Puddle - Now what? #2  
Dunno what to say... That sucks?
Hopefully no cracked blocks etc. from sudden temperature change.

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #3  
If your air breather was under water I would be worried about water being sucked in. Maybe hydro lock in the compression cylinders as a result . I would remove the injectors then crank the motor to see if water shoots out. Re-instal injectors, change the fluids as you said, replace the air filters, then you should be ready to go.

Take it to the dealers if you are uncomfortable about it, it is better to spend a few hundred then to have to pay thousands for a new motor.

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #4  
If the picture appears, you can see that I dunked the front end in the drink.
I shut it off just a second or two after the exhaust went under.
It's been pulled out and I figured to let it sit a couple days.
Then I'll check the fluids for water before I try to start it up.

Anything else I should do

Not being a wise@$#, but how'd that happen. I've got my share of stuck myself, looks like a doozy

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #5  
I gave myself the name stuckmotor because rain water got into the engine on my WD. If I was in your situation, I wouldn't want to take a chance on water rusting or locking the engine. I'll leave advice on getting it out to others.
Good luck,
Stuckmotor

Last edited:
   / Mud Puddle - Now what? #6  
Ouch...how long did it stay like that?

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #7  
Definitely check the cylinders for water.

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #8  
If your engine, breather, etc. is situated like mine then I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. From the picture and based on the fact that you shut it down I believe the chance for damage is minimized. On the other hand if it had shut itself down that would be a much larger issue since that would suggest inhaled water or like a previous post mentioned, a cracked block.

If it was my machine I would start like you said, drain and replace the engine oil. But if possible it wouldn't hurt to manually rotate the crankshaft just to be sure nothing mechanical has locked it up and as stuckmotor said, to be sure the cylinders aren't hydro locked. Still, I am placing my money on the positive outcome with little or no damage to anything but the EGO. :D

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #9  
I would recommend removing glow plugs before attempting to turn engine over as that should be much easier to do than R&R injectors.

/ Mud Puddle - Now what? #10  
I would drain the engine oil and front axle oil and replace with new. I would grease all the fittings in the front axle real good.

Was the fuel tank in the water? How do your fuel filters look? Do you have a water separator or glass bowl under your fuel pump?

If there is any chance at all of water getting in through your air filter, I would remove the glow plugs and turn it over to make sure there isn't any water in the cylinder. With a diesel engine, I just don't know if that's even a concern?

Eddie