Ford 1910 possible driveshaft problem

/ Ford 1910 possible driveshaft problem #1  

ottawa1979

Tractor
Ford 1910
Hello,

I just recently inherited my tractor with the purchase of my new home. I have noticed that I have been getting stuck a lot this spring with the soft ground and observed that only one rear wheel is spinning even when in 4 wheel drive. Today I lifted the tractor off the ground to inspect further.

Just spinning either rear wheels by hand in 4 wheel drive seems smooth but I would expect at least one front wheel to spin at the same time. When I spin either front wheels there is a horrible clanking noise from inside the drive shaft tube which can also be felt when holding the tube near the rear.

Would it be a safe bet to say that the drive shaft snapped? If so, what is the best way to remove it? It does not seem to be collapsible like the drive shaft for an implement to the PTO.

I also have a transmission fluid leak. Not where the differential lock pedal goes into the housing but on the other side. Its seems there should be a plug since there are no threads. Can anyone confirm this as well?

Thanks in advance!

/ Ford 1910 possible driveshaft problem #2  
The driveshaft coupler #24/SBA322610070 splines are probably worn through on one of two couplers on the 4wd driveshaft. It runs about $50. ForumRunner_20140601_202817.png To access, remove the 4 bolts on cover #17 and slide back to access the coupler. There is a snap ring that holds the coupler in place. Undo the snap ring from the groove and slide it and the coupler back. The driveshaft should drop down and allow you to remove driveshaft from tractor. At this point you can slide the shield off and make the repairs.
The plug you are talking about on the diff. lock is #31/SBA398460360 in the illustration.
I can't get the picture to post, but the plug is located at the end of the shaft on the LH side like you thought.

/ Ford 1910 possible driveshaft problem #3  
Hello again,
Thank god this site exists.
I have the 1910 engine all rebuilt, front end almost back in place BUT!! The drive shaft!!! , Seems everyone has had this problem. I have three Ford manuals on the 1910, none say much about installing the drive shaft in the 4x4 1910. I have done everything the books say and hints I have read on this site but all this info is so vague. I need help, not ridiculing advise to make me feel bad about doing it myself but help from those more experienced willing to share their experiences with me. The tractor is on blocks, the rear wheel can spin, the drive shaft is into the front housing, the couplers are in place, when I spin the rear wheel the drive shaft spins until I pull the front end in closer then it binds up. I cant get the splines to align up or maybe. I tried making sure the front splines are in first, heck, I have tried everything. HELP! Please!
Greg