Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #1  

IMCA38

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1225 w/loader, Case 1840 SS, Ransomes 723D mower
Well, yesterday, we got about 7" of snow during the day. I went out last night to plow the driveway and find the battery in the Massey doesn't have enough poop to start it up.
After trying to assist the battery with my portable battery pack, I gave up and pulled the battery with the intent of getting a new battery at noon today. When I pulled the battery, I found that it had an Interstate Batteries sticker on the side, but it said Yusua on the case. I also noticed that the top post terminals were about half size of posts on a car battery, maybe about 7/16" in diameter.
I called a couple of places and believed that O'Reilly's had what I needed. I went there and discovered that all they had was a group 51 car battery with large posts. A couple of phone calls to the local farm supply stores came up empty as well. So, I drove across town and went to the Interstate Batteries store and took the old battery inside.
Now----You know its a bad day when the clerk at the Interstate store takes one look at a battery with an Interstate sticker on it and says, "Wow, I ain't never seen ANYTHING like this before...." He picked up the phone and called who-knows-where and chatted for a bit and then hung up. He told me they could special order one, but it would take TEN DAYS and the coust would be about $81 + shipping.
Doing some quick math, with the special order piece being $30+ more then the group 51 car battery, I figured I maight be able to swap out the cables on the tractor for regular car cables and still come out ahead. So I went home after work, pulled the cables (amazingly easy, actually) and took them back to O'Reilly's to get new cables and a battery. Total cost w/ tax of $64.00. I took my loot home, installed the new cables, put in the new battery, crossed my fingers, turned the key and the beast roared to life quicker then it ever has since I've owned it. (Did I mention it was about 15 degrees at that point?) Finally got out about 9:30 and did my first snow plowing.
Do all Japaneese CUT's come with these cheesy batteries??

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #2  
The day before the storm was to hit, my neighbor was trying to get his tractor started and the battery was stone cold dead. The tractor is an import from China and I didn't recognize the brand name, so I can't give you that information. It was something "King". The battery was buried down deep in the front of the tractor in front of and below the radiator. It didn't have battery terminal posts like most batteries, but had skinny 1" square by 1/4" thick terminals that the starter wire was bolted to. I looked at it and suggested that he get a standard automobile battery..... group 27 looked like it would fit and some new cables. Don't know what he finally decided, but, I have a feeling that he also ran into the same problem of cost and availability. I have yet to look at the battery in my Kubota BX-22, but I probably should..... If it is one of those @#$%#$& type batteries, then I will be getting the correct size cables to replace the originals when the time comes for a new battery.

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
I actually saw several bateries with the square terminals. Those are basically a motorcycle battery.

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #4  
Boy, if I could find a new tractor battery around here for my Kubota M8950 for $81, I'd kiss the salesperson.

A new battery from my Kubota Dealer for my tractor is <font color="red">$493.31</font>.

Sam's Club down in Florida carries a battery that will fit mine, however, none up by me do. My parents are coming up in February for a visit. I'm having them pick one up for me and bring it up here. Sam's Club cost: $75

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #5  
The battery in the Kubota L4310 was still the original and was getting weak. I was happy to see that it was a standard size, group 24 battery. $40 at WalMart. Took 10 minutes to change.
Rich

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #6  
$493.31.....???? Nice profit for the dealer. Does anyone know why I can buy a huge Delco with a 7 year warranty for my Oldsmobile for $72 and tax, but a little Champion ATV battery (from TSC) costs almost $60 and has only a 6 month warranty and lasts maybe two years? I have found Walmart and Sam's club to be an excellent source of replacement batteries for many vehicles. Just wish they had a better selection.

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #7  
Did you check the water level? If the water is low in just one cell, the tractor will not start when the weather is bad.

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #8  
You guys that only need a new battery and a set of cables should thank your lucky stars that you don't have the same problem as the folks that own New Holland tractors. The battery on the NH and also a few others spews acid all over the tractor and the fan helps by moving it around a bit. At 50 hours or so I had to neutralize, clean, repaint, and get a new sealed Optima battery. Now that is a real pain in the a-- for a brand new rig. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Optima batteries aren't cheap either mine was $140.00

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #9  
I'm glad that my NH was a bit older.. a 1997 model, and had a large looking auto style battery.. though i'm sure it was oem.

When It dies earlier this year, I put in a wall-mart battery. I think I use d the midgrade.. 39 + tax.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Battery problems- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! #10  
I'm still waiting for New Holland to decide how they are going to handle my problem. Got a call from corporate in Canada and they are doing a bit of investigating into the matter. All i'm asking for is the cost of the battery, I ate the labor. I don't think thats asking too much for what I paid for the tractor do you? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif