Another battery question

/ Another battery question #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Usually when cold, I get a singular "click" when I hit the key to start Brutus. I've learned that if I take the forward/reverse lever and waft it back/forth (and get a click click click each time)... the starter will grab hold and it'll fire right up.

After it's warm, there is hardly any click at all, it will start right up like you'd expect.

Starter was out to rebuild shop 1 1/2 years ago and all it needed was new solenoid. (hmm)

I also have brand new (Interstate) battery that exceeds the CCA requirements of the machine.

I can put battery on charger (slow trickle) and get a full charge on it and still have this issue. When the engine DOES turn over under battery power, it turns quite efficiently (suggesting batter is not at fault)

I've begun to wonder if the battery cables might be a worthwile culpret to look at? Seems they've probably been on machine since inception (1987) and I would not be surprised if they have some corrosion inside their sheathing.

???

Any thoughts?

Richard
Make any sense?

/ Another battery question #2  
Is there a lockout switch for the forward/reverse lever.?

/ Another battery question
by lockout switch, I presume you mean somethign that prevents it from starting while in gear? if so, answer is yes. That is why it "clicks" as I wift it back/forth with key on... much easier for me to "click" the starter like that than turning the key over & over.

Machine will NOT start/turn over while in gear.

Richard

/ Another battery question #4  
Richard, of course it's never a bad idea to make sure the cables are clean and solid, but if moving that shift lever around makes the starter finally catch, sure sounds like that safety switch is the culprit; either defective or out of adjustment.

/ Another battery question
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but if moving that shift lever around makes the starter finally catch, sure sounds like that safety switch is the culprit; either defective or out of adjustment. )</font>

Though I'd not put my neck on the chopping block defending the switch, I did not mean to infer I suspected it...

What happens, is to start the engine, I can turn, release turn, release, turn release the key as each time it gets turned, it "clicks" the starter (as though battery is weak maybe)

I find it easier on my fingers to simply keep the key turned to start while clicking the forward/reverse lever (same location as turn signal stalk on auto). I only do it that way because I can get a bunch of clicks in faster and with less wear & tear on my fingers than grabbing the small key & turning it appropriately.

I'm 99.99999% sure the F/R lever is fine... if there was any kind of issue inside it, I'd expect the machine to be a bit buggy every now and then (at least) when making the transition from F/N/R or any combo of... the fact of the matter is, I've NEVER NEVER had any issues with that kind of function, (because it DID once cross my mind), so I'm left wondering if I might have some crud growing INSIDE my battery cables, causing their capacity to be diminished.

With the colder weather and the hardwood flooring I've been putting down over the last couple weeks, I've been too cold, lazy and busy to put much energy into this, so I thought I'd ask here to see if my presumption might be worthy (cables).

Maybe this weekend if I get some inspiration... anyone want to send me some inspiration??? ($$$) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Richard

/ Another battery question #6  
<font color="blue"> What happens, is to start the engine, I can turn, release turn, release, turn release the key as each time it gets turned, it "clicks" the starter (as though battery is weak maybe)</font>
I received a defective Optima battery for my TC25D, actually 2 of them, I just have not returned the second one yet /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. This is the same noise I heard when the bad Optimas were in the tractor.

/ Another battery question #7  
OK, Richard, now I understand better, so probably not that safety switch. So I don't have an answer for you. If it were me, I'd start by checking the cables, as you suggested, to make sure they're solid, clean, and firmly connected. I'd also check all the connections at the starter. Then I'd check voltage at the battery, both just standing and with someone turning the key to the start position. Then I'd check the amperage draw with my clamp meter on the positive cable while someone turned the key to the start position. Then I'd check the starter solenoid drive gears. The "click" indicates it's trying to engage, but is it engaging properly and not getting enough power to turn the starter or are the gears not meshing properly?

And if I didn't solve the problem by then, I'd probably be calling for help. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Another battery question #8  
Richard, do you know where your starter solenoid is? Can you get to it easily? If you have access, you can use a jumper to get the solenoid to energize. I'm not suggesting jumpering the large battery cables on each side of the solenoid (that will be arc welding), but rather the lead that comes from your starter switch. If the solenoid energizes and the starter turns over the engine, your problem is with the starter switch or safety lockout circuit. If the solenoid just chatters and does not energize, you probably need new cables, to clean your cables/battery terminals, or a new battery.

/ Another battery question #9  
I had the very same issue with the Bison tractor that I just sold last month. Once in a while when I would hit the key to start it all I would hear is a click. It turned out to be in the starter itself. I found this out by bypassing the tractor wiring and supplying 12 volts directly to the solenoid on the starter to check the start cycle. When I bypassed or applied power directly to the solenoid I still got the clicking noise thus eliminating all the wiring and switches upstream from it.

A word of CAUTION here! If you are going to do this test make absolutely sure the parking brake is set and the machine is in neutral. Otherwise you might be chasing your tractor down the drive if it starts.

/ Another battery question #10  
Hi...

As already said... clean the battery terminals/connection...

This resolved the "click" "no start" problem I've encountered twice with cars...

Dave...