231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem #1  

dirtbogger

Tractor
Super C and 231 Massey Ferguson
231 steering problem. Tractor turns easy to left and back to the right to straight ahead then gets hard and has no assistance. I've put a new cylinder on the left side and new O-rings in the steering valve but can't do anything to get it to give me power steering to the right. Help Please!!!

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem #2  
have you checked linkage adjustment to control valve

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem
Yes, replaced pin and bottom linkage because it had a little slack. Reversed lines on cylinders thinking it would reverse my problem but it works on it's own like that. sucks the spool closed an turns on its own. and still only turns left with full assistance. Pulled both cylinders and checked them with air and they worked fine.

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem #4  
When you turn steering wheel left and right you should notice that it raises and lowers a little bit, that is what moves the control valve. If it only has power assist in one direction it usually out of adjustment. Disconnect linkage to valve and move valve up and down, see what happens. Usually the only problem with 231 valve is that they leak. Very simple spool valve, but I don't recall if it can be put back together wrong.

Thnx for the reply. I've adjusted it every way you can! It turns easy to the left, then back to the right until the wheels are a little past straight, then it stops. If I lift the wheels off the ground with the loader it turns freely both ways. It's strange, I tried the cylinders with air and they worked fine both directions. It seems like once the wheels are straight it starts working against itself.

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem #6  
What was wrong with left steer cyl that you had to replace it? Checking cyl with air is not the same as hyd press. The two cyls work together, as one goes in the other goes out. If right cyl is bypassing internally you will have problems. Did you take old left cyl apart? Did it used to work fine? Was new cyl after market? Have had problems with some aftermarket cyls. Normally better to reseal old cyl.

Steering wasn't working at all when I bought it. Left cyl was a aftermarket someone else put on it and the right is the original. Rebuilt original cyl but couldn't find a kit for the left so I bought one off ebay. Ferguson dealer wants $475.00 for one so I thought I'd try one of the aftermarkets. I tried every salvage place in the country for a original one, and was going to rebuild it, but had no luck finding one. Previous owner said he had it worked one once before and it worked ok for a while then quit, but never was like it should be. What problems have you had with the aftermarket cyls? This is the second one of these I've tried and both do the same thing.

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem #8  
Machining process is not as good and they tend to leak internally. Try moving the left cyl to right side and right cyl to left side. If problem is in other direction then its in a cyl. The two cyls work together, if one is bypassing internally, poor steering. When you turn wheel to left you pressure the barrel end of right cyl and rod end of left cyl. They are double acting cyls, so poor steering to the right does not really mean its the left cyl. When you rebuilt original cyl did you install tube correctly with oring. Is piston on tight. Did piston seal get damaged during assembly. Can you test for a bypassing cyl?

Can't swap sides. I thought of trying that but aftermarket cyl. has a larger diameter tie rod end so they machined the hole to accept it. Took it out and cut about 3 acres with it and noticed the pump and control valve were hot. Cyls were warm but the pump and control valve under dash were hotter than they should be. Steering is tolerable while moving but it's not what it should be to right!

/ 231 Massey Ferguson power steering problem #10  
What kind of oil in pump? Should be MF permatran III or equal. What does oil in pump look like, foamy or milky? Was pump and control valve hot enough to burn off paint? Do you have any hyd press test guages