Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine

/ Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine #1  

IAM4WVU

Tractor
Cub Cadet LT1045
Tractor is approximately 7 years old. I replaced all belts, spark plug, air filter, and 4 deck wheels 30 days ago and tractor has been running excellent. Today it stopped running halfway through cutting grass. It starts for 1-2 seconds but stops again. It has more than 1/2 tank of fresh gas. The PTO is fully disengaged and the choke is working properly. I've replaced the spark plug (again) to no avail. Oil level is "FULL". I've had the battery checked and it's okay. No blown fuses. Changed fuel filter and checked for leaks in fuel line, but that did not help either. I'm out of ideas. Especially since it cranks fine and tries to run but then dies. Spark plug wire checks out okay too. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this juncture.

/ Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine #2  
Have you done a check for fuel delivery to the carb.?? I did a quick check at Kohler, and those Courage engines have a pulse type fuel pump. ie: Operates off the pressure in the crankcase. Not the plunger type. So you will need to be cranking it over to check.

If you have fuel delivery to the carb., sounds like it may need a cleaning.

/ Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine #3  
Or the fuel shutoff solenoid is shorted somewhere. Definitely sounds like almost no fuel in carb. I'd check the fuel pump; shutoff solenoid and wiring; inlet needle/seat in that order.

- Jay

/ Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine
Thanks DJ54 and JRobyn for the input. Been out of commission myself for several days and just getting back on the tractor tomorrow. Will post results of my findings at that time. Thanks again.

/ Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine #5  
Out of curiosity, how many hours does your Cub have?

Here's my findings as of today. Checked the spark plug with an inline tester and I am definitely getting good spark. There was fuel in the fuel filter. However, I decided to replace the fuel filter as routine maintenance. There was a small amount of residual gas in the line that I drained into a pan. After changing the fuel filter, I tried cranking it over as suggested by DJ54. I am not getting gas to the gas filter; so obviously I'm not getting it to the fuel pump either. Can any of you (or JRobyn) tell me where the fuel shutoff solenoid is located and how to access it? Wakey asked how many hours on my Cub... it has 115 hours. The grass is a growing. I can use all the help/ideas you may have. Happy 4th of July everyone!

/ Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine #7  
   / Cub Cadet LT1045 w.Kohler Courage Engine #8  
On mine it's on the bottom of the caburetor.

Pull the hose from the tank to the fuel pump and see if you have full flow assuming that like most mowers the tank sits above the fuel pump. If not disconnect the hole and move it down till it's below the level of the gas in the tank....drain some into a pan. If no or bad flow, check for a clogged ouylet filter in the tank.....take the cap off the tank and blow backwards through the hose (air hose on 5psig or less pressure) while looking in the tank at the outlet....looking for crud to be blown off the filter. If ok, move to next step.

Put that hose back and pull the hose off the inlet side of your filter. Pull the spark plug so that you can spin the engine fast. Spin the engine with the starter and see if you get fuel out of the hose. If not, bad diaphragm in the fuel pump, or the suction line from the block to the fuel pump (providing pulsation to operate the pump) is cracked or broken.

These would be where I'd be looking.

Mark

Thanks Wakey and Texasmark for the pointers. You've given me sound advice and a good troubleshooting path to follow. I'll let you know what I find out.

Texasmark:

I pulled the hose from the tank to the fuel filter input (lower end of filter). Had to lower the hose somewhat, but had good gas flow. Not sure why filter is not filling up... but it's not. I thought gas had to move "freely" from gas tank to fuel pump and the fuel pump pushed it forward from there. Am I right or wrong on that matter.

Like yours, my fuel shutoff solenoid is on the bottom of the carburetor. It is definitely not clicking when the key is turned to ON or OFF. I know that's not right, but doesn't that shut fuel off to the CARBURETOR ONLY? If I'm wrong in that assumption, please tell me how to remove it and I'll clean and test it with a 9V battery or the tractor battery.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike