4wd does not work

/ 4wd does not work #1  

tzimme

I own a Kubota L2900 with which has 4wd and GST. When I shift it in to 4wd it will engage for a couple of seconds and then make a popping noise and disengage. However the shift lever shows that it is in 4wd. This sounds serious. I plan to take it to the shop soon. Does anyone have any experience with this? What could I look for to determine the problem?

Thanks

TZ

/ 4wd does not work #2  
i have no personal experience with this problem, but just wondering if it could be a lever adjustment? it might not be fully engaging. i would not use 4wd to much until u get it straightend out. don't want to dammage the unit.

/ 4wd does not work #3  
I agree with Frank, both his diagnosis and not using it until it's corrected.

/ 4wd does not work #4  
I would suggest taking it apart where the shift lever enters the case and check for bends or cracks and continue until I found the problem.

/ 4wd does not work #6  
there are several things that could be causing that. You should get it looked after. It does sound like it is in the transmission and it would be bad to hurt more gears.

/ 4wd does not work #7  
You might check the drive shaft to the front differential. On an earlier Kubota, I high centered the tractor. This pushed the drive shaft up and pulled it out of the u-joint. No damage, I just had to slide the shaft back into the u-joint and I was back in business.

/ 4wd does not work #8  
I have a L3600 GST and the 4 Whl. drive failed, after talking to a Kubota repairman checked the shaft from transmission to front drive there is a 29 cent pin that falls out and the shaft slips back with a "loud clank" You have to slip back a metal protective tube to see the shaft. Your tractor should be simular to mine due to the size. This was the first thing the repairan said they would check. ken