john deere 4300 clutch issues

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues #1  

zoeyalby24

Tractor
john deere 4300
Hello my john deere 4300 with sync-reverser trans. is popping the forward -reverse lever out of forward position when you release the clutch.The clutch is also sticking sometimes then engages. any body know about this.

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues #2  
I see two possibilities for the lever popping out. Hope this link to JD parts comes through to show what COULD be the problem. John Deere - Parts Catalog The shifting fork is held in place by a spring pin/roll pin. Pin could be sheared, or partially sheared, not giving enough travel to engage fully. OR, the hole for the pin in the fork is worn, causing the same symptoms.

Or, notice the inserts, part #13 that go on the shifting fork, and ride in the sleeve, part #11. Apparently designed as a replaceable wear surface, instead of the fork itself. If the insert is worn enough, it may not be engaging the sleeve far enough, and pops back off the hub gear.

As far as the clutch sticking. My buddy has a 4300, but no reverser. His was sticking a few years ago. Had to replace the clutch pack. At the time, a JD mechanic told him it was not rebuildable, just buy a complete clutch pack. But I do see in the parts listings, they do show parts to do so. If memory serves me correctly, clutch pack back then was $900+, then labor on top of that.

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues
Hello thank you for your responce, I couldnt find the parts you were speaking of i went to the sync reverser part in the catalog and didnt see the shifting fork or any part no. 11 was i in the right section of the catalog? sorry to sound like an idiot but im new to the tractor world and this ones kicking my but. thanks

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues #4  
Not sure what happened, the link directly to the exploded view of the reverse idler worked shortly after posting, I checked it.

Open the link then put 4300 in the search box. Select tractor. Select alphabetical index. Select the letter "R", then scroll down until you see reverse idler, and click on that. Should show, hopefully one of those is like yours.

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues #5  
Here ya go. What the difference between CST & SST trans or what does each stand for?

Attachments

• MP23349________UN31AUG00.gif
    MP23349________UN31AUG00.gif
    40 KB · Views: 1,523
   / john deere 4300 clutch issues #6  
Before you start tearing into the transmission, look at the linkages.
The sync-reverser linkage can be examined by removing the key panel and, if necessary, the left cowl panel. There are two universal joints in the reverser linkage. There are roll pins connecting the straight sections of the linkage to the universal joints. I had a roll pin break a few months back.
The clutch...pretty straightforward...under the tractor.
Ensure everything is well lubricated (use Fluid Film) and moves freely.

While you're under the tractor with that can of Fluid Film, lubricate the gear and range shift levers (where they enter the transmission housing).

After all of this inspection/lubrication, you may correct your problem. If not, then it's time to go deeper into the transmission.

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues #7  
Before you start tearing into the transmission, look at the linkages.
The sync-reverser linkage can be examined by removing the key panel and, if necessary, the left cowl panel. There are two universal joints in the reverser linkage. There are roll pins connecting the straight sections of the linkage to the universal joints. I had a roll pin break a few months back.
The clutch...pretty straightforward...under the tractor.
Ensure everything is well lubricated (use Fluid Film) and moves freely.

While you're under the tractor with that can of Fluid Film, lubricate the gear and range shift levers (where they enter the transmission housing).

After all of this inspection/lubrication, you may correct your problem. If not, then it's time to go deeper into the transmission.

Excellent advice Roy.
I will only add that if the clutch is sticking (and its not a linkage problem) then it could be the hydro fluid. When was it last changed and what type was used?

/ john deere 4300 clutch issues #8  
Here ya go. What the difference between CST & SST trans or what does each stand for?

CST=Collar Shift Transmission
SST=Sync Shift/Shuttle Transmission