New Holland LX885 does Donuts!

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #1  

Beckman

Can anybody help me with a problem I just encountered on my skid steer. One side just locked up like the brakes were put on. All it will do now is donuts..(Not very productive) to say the least. I'm not sure how and where to check the braking connections. That's what it feels like it might be though. It has been working great. It's a 1999 turbo model.
thanks for any help or advice you can give me before it goes to the repair shop.

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #2  
   / New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #3  
How long has it been since the drive chains have been serviced?

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts!
Thanks Steve, I'll give them a try..

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts!
To tell you the truth Art, I'm not sure. I purchased the Skid Steer a few months ago and didn't inquire about them. I will probably take it in to be completely serviced so I'll know from this point on. It would be nice to be able to drive it up on the trailer though. lol.

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #6  
Check on the side that doesn't move, there should be a door on the top of that side or on the side that can be unbolted. Forgot to ask as I'm only vaguely familier with to many brands but I believe the parking brake pawl is on the right hand side. Engage your parking brake a couple of times and disengage it and see if that makes a difference. Some times they stick.

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #7  
The chains are not servicable on these skid steers and are non adjustable. The pin in the servo control usually breaks causeing them to go around in circles like you are describing. This is a major job to repair, if this is the problem. The whole servo control has to be replaced because there is no part for just the pin that breaks in them. I have seen one guy have a new pin machined because the servo control is fairly expensive if this is the problem it list for 496.00

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The chains are not servicable on these skid steers and are non adjustable. )</font>
I have to disagree the chains are serviceable and adjustable
the 885 has two chains per side one for the front axle and one for the rear if you take the tires off there are 8 bolts that hold the axle assy on if you loosen them a little bit that axle holes are slotted I found it easiest if you loosen them just a little and used a sledge and drive them forward on the front or rearward on the back not too hard though and hit close to the frame so you don't break the housing without looking at it I would say you broke a chain they are easy to change on that model. In fact I just changed one on a l455 a older machine that has one long chain real pain to do them

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #9  
I don't know where you are, but the chaincase may have ice in it. Could also have a broken chain. We haven't seen the servo problem that Spencer mantioned. The chains are adjustable.

/ New Holland LX885 does Donuts! #10  
What I meant by servicable was to remove or replace a link in them you have to replace the whole chain.