kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start #1  

xcdhracer15

Tractor
b6100
I have an 86 kubota L2850 with 1950hrs on it.

There seems to be a fueling issue. It is not compensating for load (no smoke) and is low on power, bogs in 3rd/4th gear on slightest grade with 0 smoke.

Also it stalls relatively easily once hot and will not restart (0 smoke while cranking). Tractor starts great when cold with no smoke etc.

It once had a electronic shut off solenoid, this is gone/ disconnected, turn tractor off with manual pull lever.

any ideas???

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start #2  
Welcome to TBN.
What is condition of fuel in tank? How often is tractor used and to do what type of work? What is the power like when it first starts cold? Any bogging down on grades when cold? Last oil, fuel filter change done at ?# of hours?

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start
i bought the tractor this winter, i use it around my home, moving pallets of wood, light loader work etc.

i have put approx 10 gallons of fresh fuel through it, so fuel in tank should be "new"

oil was supposebly done just prior to buying it, its clean (not black)

fuel filter is new as of last week with no change. It doesnt seem to have the power it should when cold, it is slow to get to 2500rpm's, when hot the power drops off further and wont pull 2500 rpm's in 4th gear flat ground pavement.

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start #4  
I have an 86 kubota L2850 with 1950hrs on it.

There seems to be a fueling issue. It is not compensating for load (no smoke) and is low on power, bogs in 3rd/4th gear on slightest grade with 0 smoke.

Also it stalls relatively easily once hot and will not restart (0 smoke while cranking). Tractor starts great when cold with no smoke etc.

It once had a electronic shut off solenoid, this is gone/ disconnected, turn tractor off with manual pull lever.

any ideas???

Make sure the strainer at the tank outlet is clear. Inadequate fuel delivery is a common problem caused by a plugged tank out let. You might also check the air cleaner for a restriction.

air filter is clean, fuel flows freely out of the tank

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start #6  
You stated earlier: "It once had a electronic shut off solenoid, this is gone/ disconnected, turn tractor off with manual pull lever."
Can you say more about this and why it was done?
Is there only one filter from the fuel tank to the injection pump?
How many hours have you put on it since you bought it?
Did it behave this way all of a sudden or gradually?
Do you have a service manual for it?

i assume the shut off solenoid failed and since it has a manual kill lever/ rod the electronic solenoid was removed. It was like this when I bought it.

As far as I know there is only the 1 paper cartridge fuel filter between the tank and pump. (should there be more? )

i've only put about 15 hours on the tractor and its done this since I got it.

I do not have a service manual. I have worked on and owned a variety of diesel cars and trucks. I just did head gaskets in my duramax, i have rebuilt several allison transmissions etc.... this is an unusual issue.

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start #8  
So, this has always been the way it ran since you bought it? Why is it a problem now and not something you would have brought up with the seller when you bought it?
I don't know if there is more than one fuel filter, but you want to find out if there is, or a strainer at/in the injection pump....
Do you know what the injectors are doing as to spray pattern?

tractor was purchased as is. Tried it for 30 minutes no issues. It is very clean otherwise.

its not a spray pattern issue it would be smoking or fuel in the oil, its somethign to do with temperature/ viscosity of fuel etc or the injection pump. leaning towards pump being tired

/ kubota L2850 stalls when hot and wont hot start #10  
That's why I'm asking about spray pattern; if it's next to nothing when hot or after it stalls it could be pointing to the pump, or you may have a failing pre-pump that works well when cold.
Without doing diagnostics, jumping to failing injection pump is not wise. Failing injectors or failed injector(s) don't necessarily smoke or flood the oil, they could just not be getting fuel pressure necessary to open them under certain conditions, like when engine is warm/hot.