Disk Axle repair

/ Disk Axle repair #1  

Dickey

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5700, L245DT and Mahindra mpower 85
Any one ever replace the axle on a disk I have a Atlas 500 20-20 disk and today the axle broke on it. It broke on the end two inches from the bolt. Is it hard to replace?

Thanks Richard

/ Disk Axle repair #2  
I'm not sure yet. I have a 2 year old Atlas 500 20x20 like yours but I only have about 2 acres disced one time. The outer disc on the rear left broke in a ring around the axle. No turns or roots in the area. Tuesday or Wednesday I'm going to try to tackle it.

/ Disk Axle repair #3  
Not familiar with your disk but I have a 13' tandem with 18" blades and 20' tandem with 22" blades and have replaced axles on both without major problems. It does help to have a helper to get everything threaded through. I can't remember breaking one, however. Ours come loose and threads get damaged, bearings fail and damage the axle (we call it arbor bolt).

/ Disk Axle repair #4  
It's hard work as everything is heavy and hard to handle but not technically hard. If the nut broke off that is a plus because they can be hard to get off. Just cut it and get a new one as you have to replace the axle anyway. As you take it apart pay attention. Lay the parts out in order. The spacers and washers may not all be the same length and if you mix them up you may have trouble getting it back together. The last one I took all apart I numbered the parts with a paint marker as it came apart. It really helped going back together. You may have to retorque it a couple times after you run it a short distance.
Good luck, not one of my favorite jobs.

/ Disk Axle repair #5  
Back in the 60's & 70's I assembled disk plows & tandems at a JD dealership. I suggest removing disk shaft with disk from frame. Then assemble new shaft & disk's then install on frame. Your little disk shaft is a ""walk in the park"" compared to the shafts I assembled with 10 to 12 disk per shaft.

/ Disk Axle repair
Thanks guys great advice.

Richard

/ Disk Axle repair #7  
Are you trying to repair the broke one or replace with new shaft? They can be welded back but you must do it just right.
When assembling it back together it helps to have some help to bump end with a sledge hammer as you tighten the nut.

/ Disk Axle repair
It broke where the threaded part meats the square axle and the threads were in bad shape so I got another axle that's an inch longer so I'll have to add a few spacers to make it work.

/ Disk Axle repair #9  
It's hard work as everything is heavy and hard to handle but not technically hard. If the nut broke off that is a plus because they can be hard to get off. Just cut it and get a new one as you have to replace the axle anyway. As you take it apart pay attention. Lay the parts out in order. The spacers and washers may not all be the same length and if you mix them up you may have trouble getting it back together. The last one I took all apart I numbered the parts with a paint marker as it came apart. It really helped going back together. You may have to retorque it a couple times after you run it a short distance.
Good luck, not one of my favorite jobs.
Also note the orientation of the spools as you take them off, one end will be beveled to the inside and the other to the outside to match the inside and outside disc curvature. It isn't very noticeable and easy to get them on backwards. I like to remove the whole blade assembly from the disk, remove the end nut, then stand the assembly up and start taking everything off one piece at a time and lay everything down in order just the way and orientation that it will go back on. This is best done with an assistant to keep the disk gang standing properly. ON longer and heavier gangs, propping a 4x4 under the middle and sliding things off works good till you get to the 4x4, then it has to be repositioned and finally the whole gang (what is left on the axle) will need to be held up one the end by an assistant so each component can be removed. NOT that hard to do, but does take a few minutes to get everything off and neatly placed for going back together. Getting the gang bolts off and the gang out from under the disk AND THEN BACK UNDER AFTER ASSEMBLY is the hardest part.

Don't forget that you will need to tighten the new axle nut several times after using it for a few minutes as the new soft steel axle is going to stretch a bit and the spools loosen up as they settle in. Hitting the end with a sledge hammer, tapping each blade as the nut is tightened and hammer wrenching the nut tight will help but I have never seen anyone get them tight enough so that a few more tightenings aren't required.