New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work #1  

Andy351

Tractor
New Holland TC29, Massey 35
My TC29 Hydtostat steering works less as the tractor warms up (fluid is full), in other words I steer one revolution and I might some wheel turning or nothing. I can always get the tractor back in the barn but its a pain in the rear. Sometimes I turn the wheel 2 to 3 times around and the tires dont even move, anyone have any ideas?
Also My hour meter does not work but the tach and all of the other gauges do, what could be causing that?
Thanks

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work #2  
Time for a pump rebuild, refit. the seals and/or the micro honed surfaces are shot.

Far as the meter, look at it this way. It's not getting any older when you off it.....lol

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work
Time for a pump rebuild, refit. the seals and/or the micro honed surfaces are shot.

Far as the meter, look at it this way. It's not getting any older when you off it.....lol

Do you know if their is a Kit with the the seals ect from New Holland? as Far as the work I am a machinist so I get to do stuff like that for a living so re-honing is no issue as long as the size is still close
on the hour meter it is stuck at 850 and the tractor has at least 2000 on it so I would like it to be alittle more realistic (like 1500 LOL)

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work #4  
Power Steering NH.jpg
My TC29 Hydtostat steering works less as the tractor warms up (fluid is full), in other words I steer one revolution and I might some wheel turning or nothing. I can always get the tractor back in the barn but its a pain in the rear. Sometimes I turn the wheel 2 to 3 times around and the tires dont even move, anyone have any ideas?
Also My hour meter does not work but the tach and all of the other gauges do, what could be causing that?
Thanks

I don't know if your tractor is the same as mine, but the manual states that the power steering fluid should be changed every 50 hour of operation. Mine is a NH TC35A

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work #6  
View attachment 385016

I don't know if your tractor is the same as mine, but the manual states that the power steering fluid should be changed every 50 hour of operation. Mine is a NH TC35A

I guess the oldtimers thing is setting in on me. I stated that the manual says to (change the fluid) I stated that wrong. It says to check the fluid after 50 hours and to change the fluid after 600 hours. Sorry I'm getting old in my old age.

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work #7  
First thing I would do is check the filter on the steering pump. If it has been a long time since changed, that could be the problem.... no/ or little fluid flow back to the pump. If the flow is good, I would plumb a pressure gauge on the pressure side pump line and see if it is producing good pressure. If you have good pressure ( 1500-2200 psi?) I would put the gauge on the steering cylinder lines and steer left/tight . If no/ little pressure there, I'd take the steering motor (steering control valve) apart and check for either a relief valve that is stuck open and bypassing fluid or bad motor/ valve seals ( seals available from NH). If I had good pressure on the cylinder lines, I'd check the steering cylinder for bad seals.

Your tractor uses alternator pulse to operate the tach and hour meter. If the tach works and the hour meter doesn't, check for any wire(s) that come off the tach to the hour meter......pretty sure the wire off the alternator goes to the tach first then powers the meter.

Last edited:
   / New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work
First thing I would do is check the filter on the steering pump. If it has been a long time since changed, that could be the problem.... no/ or little fluid flow back to the pump. If the flow is good, I would plumb a pressure gauge on the pressure side pump line and see if it is producing good pressure. If you have good pressure ( 1500-2200 psi?) I would put the gauge on the steering cylinder lines and steer left/tight . If no/ little pressure there, I'd take the steering motor (steering control valve) apart and check for either a relief valve that is stuck open and bypassing fluid or bad motor/ valve seals ( seals available from NH). If I had good pressure on the cylinder lines, I'd check the steering cylinder for bad seals.

Your tractor uses alternator pulse to operate the tach and hour meter. If the tach works and the hour meter doesn't, check for any wire(s) that come off the tach to the hour meter......pretty sure the wire off the alternator goes to the tach first then powers the meter.

The tractor works and steers fine when cold, one thing I was thinking is that some of the fluid is getting by because wear when the pump and fluids warm, Could I just increase the viscosity of the power steering fluid and help some of this?

/ New holland TC29 steering help needed also hour meeter dont work #9  
Probably would help to use heavier fluid but it's just a bandaid fix. If hot fluid is truly the factor, you have wear in one or more places...the pump, the steering motor valve or the cylinder ( or a relief that occasionally sticks open and may or may not be affected by cool or hot fluid).

I say go ahead and put heavier fluid in it but be aware you will likely just get by with it for a while, then have to deal with the real issue.