winter oils

/ winter oils #1  

beer195

Tractor
kioti
I have a new Kioti ck2510 hst that will have many uses around the farm here. For the winter I will be using it for snow clearance. could anyone advise on the best engine oil for our very cold winter ( -40c common place).
Thanks Dave

/ winter oils #2  
Dave,

Welcome to TBN. The operator's manual will provide the very best advise on viscosities at those temps. And I would recommend any major brand that is diesel rated. Thank the Lord - you didn't ask synthetic or regular. That could generate a never ending diatribe.

Actually the best advise at -40c (same as -40F) is a cheery fire in the hearth and a yet to be opened bottle of Jack Daniels. Man, if you are out at those temps - you will probably be the only moving thing in the local vicinity. I've operated equipment at those temps - Glennallen, AK - and things can have a habit of going wrong.

/ winter oils #3  
I run Rotella T6 5-40 in my 89 F250 7.3 and Kioti DS3510 all year. The starts in the Winter at -20/40F are MUCH nicer, especially on the old 7.3!

/ winter oils #4  
I run Rotella T6 5-40 in my 89 F250 7.3 and Kioti DS3510 all year. The starts in the Winter at -20/40F are MUCH nicer, especially on the old 7.3!

Me too and T6 is full synthetic. It's a heavy duty oil with the latest Compression star ratings and is good year around. WW sells if for a great price along with their dino (paraffin base stocks) hd Rot T 15w-40 that I use in my old Fords. My Branson has had it since new in '07 and Cummins, my engine maker, told me that my engine would "love for me to use it" when I asked them. I change oil every 300 hours or so (manual says 300), never have to add between changes and it comes out fairly clear considering where it's used which translates to me that it reduces breakdown better than dino oils.

Mark

/ winter oils
Dave,

Welcome to TBN. The operator's manual will provide the very best advise on viscosities at those temps. And I would recommend any major brand that is diesel rated. Thank the Lord - you didn't ask synthetic or regular. That could generate a never ending diatribe.

Actually the best advise at -40c (same as -40F) is a cheery fire in the hearth and a yet to be opened bottle of Jack Daniels. Man, if you are out at those temps - you will probably be the only moving thing in the local vicinity. I've operated equipment at those temps - Glennallen, AK - and things can have a habit of going wrong.

Thanks Guys I,ll look it up locally to see who can supply it.

/ winter oils #6  
Good,
Glad you were able to get recommendations from a Kioti owner. Kubota recommends 15W-40 year round. Rotella must be a good brand - everybody recommends and uses it. None of the suppliers in this neck of the woods handle that brand.

/ winter oils #8  
Good,
Glad you were able to get recommendations from a Kioti owner. Kubota recommends 15W-40 year round. Rotella must be a good brand - everybody recommends and uses it. None of the suppliers in this neck of the woods handle that brand.

It's a Shell brand oil,,, Shell-Rotella. The stuff is everywhere and I'm sure you can find it. It's probably Shell Oil Company's most popular over the counter product..

/ winter oils #9  
If OP is in Canada (Saskabush ?), then we have some 0W40's too.

Rotella T6 is available in 0W40 in some parts of Canada, and Petro Canada has some 0W30s in their Duron line. I thought there was a Duron 0W40 now, but can't seem to find it on their site, except in this tech doc:

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/pdf/DURON-E_IM-8028E.pdf

Nice Pour Point. Check with a Petro Can dealer for availability.

Rgds, D.