Tractor
    IH 574

Default IH 574 RH Brake problems

hey there guys,
    not exactly a compact tractor but..
    My IH 574 has no right brake at the moment. I have bled the line, a lot of air came out, now its just oil but still there is no pressure building up at all. Dad said maybe the master cylinder has a dodgy seal and is allowing oil to bypass the internal piston. What do you guys think may be the problem?

Thanks for your help,

Glenn

Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: IH 574 RH Brake problems

Did you clamp off the return line before starting the bleeding process.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

I have done quite a bit of brake work on cars and trucks and concur with your Dad's suggestion about a leaky master cylinder IF your IH 574 actually has one. I have never really looked at tractor brake systems and it would surprise me if they had master cylinders and wheel cylinders. Shows you how ignorant some folks can be. But I have always thought of tractor brake systems as being mechanically actuated on the rear wheels only.

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

We have an old IH 444 that also has a brake problem (as in none on 1 side [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

Anyway, OURS doens't have a master cylinder, so I'd be willing to bet yours doesn't either. I've looked at the manual on ours as I want to fix it with my wife's cousin. (tractor belongs to her uncle, or HIS father)..

anyway, on the 444, it looks like it's a REAL piece of work (on paper). I can't scan the pic from here but here is what the maual says:

Disc brakes:

Two fricton disc plates (with an actuator assembly between them) are mounted on each bull pinion shaft and between the brake housing and bull pinion bearing cage.

When the brake pedal is pushed, the linkage rotates the two actuators in opposite directions. Ramps on the actuators, push against a ball and are therefore forced apart and against the friction disks.

The friction discs are forced against the brake housing and the bull pinion bearing cage and the bull pinion rotation is resisted by this friction.

When the pedal is released a pedal return spring returns the pedal to its "home" position and internal springs (hooked between the two actuators) pull the actuators away from the friction discs.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

got it? There will be a test after the holidays

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've always hoped that it would be much simpler than it sounds after tearing into it. My father in law says the brakes on this tractor (their second) NEVER worked well by its design. It sounds like the basic design of the brakes...uh.... never mind [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (why would they buy a replacement tractor for 1 they didn't like in the beginning is beyond me)

Tractor
    T4020 Deluxe

It seems if he was able to bleed a line it would not be a mechanical setup. Just a guess though

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, BX2200, Yardman 20HP pos...

<font color="blue"> It seems if he was able to bleed a line it would not be a mechanical setup. Just a guess though </font>

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pretty funny JSDK...

Tractor
    all makes and models

They use the transmission oil and it is an internal system wet brake. The 444 is a dry brake system simular to the older IH tractors.

Tractor
    IH 574

Hey guys,
    Thanks for your replys, it seems I didn't clamp the return line when I first bled the line, I did this and now I have brakes (yay!) I got hold of an original owners manual off of my grandad which helped too...
    However, there is a lot of play in the RH brake so when the brakes are latched, and pushed down, the left hand brake is on, and the right hand brake is only just begining to apply force to the wheel. Anyone have any bright ideas?
    Thanks again guys,

Glenn

Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX-22

I would bleed both brakes and make sure that they are both evenly adjusted.....

Tractor
    all makes and models

Glen they should level out. Has this tractor ever had brakes installed before? Was it used on a small farm where the right brake might have been used for turning? Normally depending on use I'd say you might want to have the brakes done on it. I'd say that it might be a good investment to have them looked into if you can't get them to equalize.