How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #1  
Tractor
John Deere 410B Backhoe/Loader
Hello,

I have a feeling this is a common problem as I look at different posts, and I'd like to tackle it myself (and save a bit of money).

While looking at youtube videos it looks like I can get at the valve by partially disassembling the pump while it is still on the tractor and still be able to take out the valve stem to replace the o-rings (I assume this is what needs to be done correct, if the diesel is coming out around here?). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYz0dCQNiVc

And this guy gives a closer up look at replacing the o-rings but he has already taken the pump off the tractor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTyqaMYbYyg.

Does anyone know if this is something that you feel is possible, or do I actually need to take the pump off, and risk ruining the timing if I don't get it back on correctly.

If I do take it apart while it is on the tractor, do I risk draining the diesel tank, or will it just drain what is in the pump?

Thanks so much; we really appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Jeremy

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #2  
I am curious too. I have the same repair to do on my Ford 4610. I am tired of putting a bucket under the tractor when I park it. I need to do this, but I am using the tractor every day that I am not working, and I don't want to try this in the dark.

That second video was helpful. I don't want to drop small parts in the pump.

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #3  
Jeremy
The o-rings can be replaced with inj pump on tractor. CAUTION: you need to pay attention to which holes the spring inside cover are attached. If you attach spring incorrectly engine will not accelerate correctly. Fuel tank should have a cutoff valve

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B
OK, awesome, Jim - thanks. Do you think these are standard O-rings I can get at Homedepot?

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #5  
Take the information off of your injector pump on the engine. Use that information to google for more information. It is likely you will be able to find not only a manual for the pump, but also information for parts kits. Once you have determined what seal kit you need ("O" rings, metal washers, gaskets etc.) you can then try Ebay or some other supply for the parts.
When I rebuilt the DBG fuel pump on my JD450 I used US Diesel for parts. They are out of Texas and can usually supply all that you might need. I was able to source a hard to find in Canada, fuel pump drive shaft through them for 1/4 of the cost in Canada.
Here is their website but you need to know the fuel pump part numbers:

USDiesel / US Diesel -- Fuel injection replacement parts, tools, and equipment

HTH
jim

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #6  
   / How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #7  
Also, here is a pic of the mechanism. The parts you might loose are the pin and spring (5) on the tomb stone. The spring (5) is compressed under the head of the pin. If the left end of the main throttle spring comes unhooked from the pin as you wresle with it on the shaft end the little pin and idle spring (5) will shoot out. Try to keep a finger on the head of the pin. It is not really tricky - you just have to be careful.

CAV_DPA.jpg

gg

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #8  
   / How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B
Hi Gordon,

d&c was very helpful. I called them up and they were able to walk me through taking off the injector and installing the new o rings. It all worked perfectly and couldn't have been any easier to replace the leaky throttle shaft. Thanks for everyone's help - we really appreciate it!

Best wishes

/ How to fix my leaking throttle valve on lucas cav injector pump on my john deer 410B #10  
the c.a.v.fuel pump on my dm4 Nuffield tractor with perkins 4cylinder diesel engine leaks fuel from a small coiled pipe on the fuel pump looks like a drain pipe but is not the pipe on the bleeder screw, the tractor still runs ok with the fuel trickling out numbers on the pump are 60031056197 R26541CS