Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

Default Re: FEL for a Ford BN

The Falls are about 20 miles southeast of me.Potsdam Norwood area app 20 miles from the border(Massena). Does that f15 imply that you fly or have flown one of those. Have a good new year.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

If I was you, I would pass on the loader. My 8N has [well, realy had] a front plow on it. It was a real BEAR to steer, and had no traction on the rear tires. Well after getting stuck for the 5th time last weekend, I popped the blade off. OMG it is a whole new tractor!! Steers great, fun to use, great traction. So I spent most of the week removing the whole plow assambly. Best mod I ever did. All I have left on now, it the front pump drive shaft,[have not figured out how it ccomes off yet] and the under carrage frame. So my input... Enjoy the tractor, don;t put a FEL on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

There is a power steering kit that you can add to that model if you ever feel the need to put a FEL on it again. I don't know right now where to direct you but they are out there.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does that f15 imply that you fly or have flown one of those. )</font>

NO it does not. i am just an airplane nut, and that plane just grabs me. long story on how i picked that name. someone had a thread about how u picked your screen name. think i posted it there.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It was a real BEAR to steer, and had no traction on the rear tires. )</font>

you are right there, that is the main reason i stepped up to 4wd and p/s and hydro. my old arms, and legs could not take it anymore. some weight on the back helped with the traction , but not much. nice tractor tho.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Paul, here's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned and I'll just bring it up to see if you agree with me. The value of a "cherry" 8N is around $3,000...more or less. If you find a new loader and power steering add-ons, you are probably going to spend more than the value of the tractor on these pieces. My question to you (since you own and use an 8N) is: If you are going to spend $6,000+ on a tractor, wouldn't you be looking for another tractor rather than the 8N? This is one of my main "issues" with doing a retrofit loader. I would not even consider it on my Jubilee and I just wonder what you think about it?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Paul, here's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned and I'll just bring it up to see if you agree with me. The value of a "cherry" 8N is around $3,000...more or less. If you find a new loader and power steering add-ons, you are probably going to spend more than the value of the tractor on these pieces. My question to you (since you own and use an 8N) is: If you are going to spend $6,000+ on a tractor, wouldn't you be looking for another tractor rather than the 8N? This is one of my main "issues" with doing a retrofit loader. I would not even consider it on my Jubilee and I just wonder what you think about it? )</font>

If it was me, and I had the 6 grand to spend, Well, I still would probably not have a loader, but would have a nice MF 135 in the garage. Don't get me wrong, I realy like the N,[eaven more now that I don't have the plow on] but spend the money, and you still only have 25 or so HP, and non live PTO, and hydro.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Considering you can find the 8xx series for 3500 to 4000 and have live pto and ps.... makes it a real delima...

Soundguy

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( would have a nice MF 135 in the garage. )</font>

Yep! That's exactly what I meant. The older Fords are great tractors if you want to spend less than $3,000 and have a good mowing tractor with some box blading, light duty plowing, and other tasks with the 3PH. Beyond that, I wouldn't spend the extra cash to upgrade the tractor, but rather sell the older Ford and replace the tractor with a much newer model with some really nice features. From his response, I think Soundguy agrees with us too. Even if you like these old tractors, there's a point where it just makes sense to go to a newer tractor with more features.

Don't you know that somewhere, Henry Ford is smiling about the long life and history of his N-series tractors? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

P/S for older ford tractors: www.jacksonpowersteering.com
    Cost $1195 plus $65 S&amp;H

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast