FEL for a Ford BN

/ FEL for a Ford BN #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Think I have it correct. My father has an old Ford BN tractor that appears to be in really good shape. Last year, I bought him a Ford emblem ($30) for it on our way back to the airport in Dallas.

I'm wondering if FELs are available that would work on it?

He has a bunch of 3 pt stuff for it but no FEL.

Ralph

/ FEL for a Ford BN #2  
You may mean 'old 8N' ford. They had front end loaders for these tractors, but they usually were only one-way rams that would lift, and they usually were for small manure buckets that had a mechanical trip (i.e. no power dump). Reason was that hyd. pressure could be tapped off the 3pt if the arms were tied down, unless a slave hyd. pump was added to the front of the engine to make up a second hyd. pressure system. Many 8N fords had loaders. They were great tractors, and still are maintaining a place in the market. They were built around 1950 - give and take a few years.

/ FEL for a Ford BN #3  
You may want to check the Vintage Tractor forum...and just curious do you mean a Ford EIGHT-N (8N)...? I have a Jubilee and know about old Ford tractors but never heard on a BN. I subscribe to the N-News---www.n-news.com which covers older Ford tractors and they sometimes have loaders for sale in the Classified section...mostly Dearborn brand.

I can't imagine using a loader on my NAA without PS, it's hard enough to steer already !!

/ FEL for a Ford BN #4  
Ralph In the old days Dearborn, Wagner, and David Bradley/Sears made loaders for your dads 8N. Paulson Loaders are the most current make of loader for them and They have a trip or hydraulic bucket option and have a more modern design than the pipe frame Wagners and Dearborn. You have to have a pump run off the front or chain the 3 point hitch down and use a test port to run it. They are a rough on the front end and steering componets because of the lack of power steering and the light built front axle. Ive used one i installed for a friend a few times and the 8N seemed too highspeeded to but they were designed mainly for snow,manure and poultry waste removale as well as loose materials. Dearborn the main implement manufacturer also produced a rear loader for them as it was easier on the front axle and steering wasnt affected. I have a Rear loader for one 8N but I didnt get the booster cylinders for it so Im adapting its design a bit to be used on any tractor as well as the 8N. Youcan also make a scissor lift type 3point hitch loader that works good on these tractors for light landscaping.

/ FEL for a Ford BN #5  
Ralph, when I hear someone talk about adding a loader to an old Ford like the 8N, I always suggest a 3PH dirt scoop. If they already have the loader and want to get it working, that's okay, but to add a loader just doesn't make sense in my opinion. I recently saw an old Ford with a collapsed front axle. The tractor had one of those old manure loaders and my guess is that someone lifted something too heavy.

If restoration is your goal, then the loader might be fun. If real work is your goal, go with the 3PH dirt scoop.

/ FEL for a Ford BN #6  
I agree with jinman, a 30" 3ph dirt scoop would be just about right for it, if it is an 8N, about $200.

/ FEL for a Ford BN
Thanks, guys.

Guess it is an 8N. My Dad had it for the first time a year ago when we went out there. He'd apparently traded his old Allis for it.

One of my uncles had one when I was growing up. It was about the only tractor that was low down at that time.

Ralph

/ FEL for a Ford BN #8  
There is a bucket loader that is made to go on the 3pth for those older tractors. while I was doing searchs for logging winchs I found them on someones site. I think that it may have been Farnsgard but can't be sure.

/ FEL for a Ford BN #9  
You are right about the 3 pt dirt scoop, it's a very practical addition to the older Fords. I have a Dearborn model scoop and it has moved a great amount of materials around here. The more weight you scoop up, the better rear traction is and the steering also lightens. Good advice !!

/ FEL for a Ford BN #10  
the bucket loader that I am refering to actually raises about 6' high.