John Deere 5205 Will not start.

/ John Deere 5205 Will not start. #1  

Bassmat

Tractor
Johndeere5205
Hello I have a 5205 John Deere that will not start. I ran the tractor last weekend with no problems. Went to start it this am and i heard what sounded like a fuse blowing. The engine did not turn over. I have looked under the hood and under the tractor for a wire that may have been shorted but did see anything. The key switch fuse was in fact blown. Could use some help please. Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 5205 Will not start. #2  
I believe the problem is the thermistor sensor (thermistors are temperature variable resistors used as sensors.). On the thermostat housing there is a sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

When the sensor on the thermostat housing fails it shorts out and blows the fuse. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242, if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

To comply with the exhaust emissions regulation, the timing of injection pump should be around 6 to 9 degrees before TDC. These timing values do not allow proper start-up operations when engine is cold. To ease engine start-up, a cold advance system gives to the injection pump a temporary over-timing.

When coolant temperature is below 50 C (122 F), the solenoid valve is activated and opens the cold advance circuit.

Attachments

• RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,486
  • temperaturesenor.jpg
    temperaturesenor.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,118
   / John Deere 5205 Will not start.
I would like to thank you for your response. I tried unplugging that item but when i checked the fuse it shows that it was still grounded. I did not try cranking the engine because on the multimeter that fuse slot shows it to be grounded. Thanks I will keep looking.Have a great day.

/ John Deere 5205 Will not start. #4  
   / John Deere 5205 Will not start. #5  
Bassmat, shoot me your email, i have a PDF of the tech manual you're welcome to

Joe

/ John Deere 5205 Will not start. #8  
on it's way

/ John Deere 5205 Will not start.
Thanks again. Have a great evening.

/ John Deere 5205 Will not start. #10  
Hello I have a 5205 John Deere that will not start. I ran the tractor last weekend with no problems. Went to start it this am and i heard what sounded like a fuse blowing. The engine did not turn over. I have looked under the hood and under the tractor for a wire that may have been shorted but did see anything. The key switch fuse was in fact blown. Could use some help please. Thanks in advance.

Remove and clean the battery terminals. The sound that you heard could have easily been one of the post arcing.