Key broke off into ignition

/ Key broke off into ignition #1  

Farmall50m

Tractor
John Deere 790,5205
My key for my JD broke off half way from being worn.. If I slip whats left of the key in and out of the ignition, it still starts and shuts off. Could anyone tell me what the easiests way would be to get that small piece out without dealing alot with the electrical stuff. After I get this out, do you think JD can find a key that would fit my already existing ignition or should I order a new one a while.

Thanks
Jon
JD 790, 5205

/ Key broke off into ignition #2  
The last time I had to remove a broken half of a key I used a small bit in an battery operated drill and drilled a shallow hole in the key. If you go slowly this is easier than it sounds. I then screwed a tap barely into the key and pulled it out easily.

As far as getting a new key, just ask your dealer. Most tractors use the same key for many of their models.

Andy

/ Key broke off into ignition #3  
Can't say for sure without seeing it, but I removed dozens of broken cash register keys over the years with a couple of sharpened paper clips, (also hardened with a torch if necessary). prying on opposing sides of the key should lift it out.

/ Key broke off into ignition #4  
I used to work on locks at least once a day and the best key removal tools I ever found was those tools your dental assistant uses while cleaning teeth, they are very strong but brittle so wear safety glasses. The next best items would be a small set of picks that can be found in the hardware section of Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They are about four inches long with plastic handles and curved or hooked tips.

/ Key broke off into ignition #5  
Ive had good luck taking a piece of broken hacksaw blade, grinding the back edge off until only 1/8" of tooth/blade is left. The tooth at the end will really "grab" onto metal and may let you pull the fragment out.

/ Key broke off into ignition #6  
I see tractor keys for sale on E-bay every once in a while. I didn't realize "one size fits all" but I guess with some makes & models that's the case. Good luck!

/ Key broke off into ignition #7  
"I didn't realize "one size fits all" but I guess with some makes & models that's the case"

When I went to the local Deere dealer for a spare key for my 670, they just went in the back and brought a small package out. There wasn't any copying done.
That kind of surprised me, I suppose. However, it also made me less likely to leave the tractor outside while I'm at work since anyone with a 670 key (no idea what other models it may fit...but the 770 was it's big bretheren and the 790 is a direct descendent) could start it.

/ Key broke off into ignition #8  
The keys for our 70/90 series JDs will not fit any other models besides the ones in our series. It's not like the other keys for JD that will work for tractors large and small.

/ Key broke off into ignition #9  
That sounds like a snowmobile scenario.

With Arctic Cats, one key fits them all. All years, all models with the exception of the "key code" models.

Bet that makes Arctic Cat owners feel secure??

/ Key broke off into ignition #10  
I broke the key on my 332JD and there was a number on the switch face that I took to JD dealer. The guy went in the back and presto came out with 2 new ones.