JD 4110 won't charge battery

/ JD 4110 won't charge battery #1  

driscollt

Tractor
John Deere 4110
I have checked the alternator and it has a good battery.

Replaced the voltage regulator and start switch (ignition/key switch).

Symptoms - no light for battery when key switch is in Run

Battery runs down when tractor is used but starts with no problem.

I have replaced the bulb for the battery discharge indicator.

Thoughts?

Thanks

/ JD 4110 won't charge battery #2  
Charging circuit is not working. You're running off your battery until it's dead. You need around 14.25- 14.5 volts at the battery when the tractor is running - what is it reading?

/ JD 4110 won't charge battery #3  
Unplug the wiring harness from the glow plug timer and see if voltage comes up.

/ JD 4110 won't charge battery
Yes, the voltage at the battery is around 12.5. I have tested the alternator per the shop manual and it appears to be working as well. The battery charges normally. I have replaced the voltage regulator. The alternator on this unit is a 20A alternator. I have done quite a few of the tests and have not located a problem. Why does the alternator light not come on? Thanks for the response.

Not sure what the glow plug timer looks like? I can try that when I get home tonight. Can you give me some detail? Thanks

/ JD 4110 won't charge battery #6  
There is a small plastic box mounted on bracket over the radiator. There will be a plug in harness just disconnect it from the module. If the timer goes bad it can draw a continuous current to the glow plugs while the tractor is running and the alternator is unable to keep up and recharge the battery. Tractor still will operate fine without timer plugged in circuit. You can manually activate the glow plugs still by overiding the start circuit pull up pto switch or put range selector in gear and turn key to start. It is fairly expensive part to replace.

There is a small plastic box mounted on bracket over the radiator. There will be a plug in harness just disconnect it from the module. If the timer goes bad it can draw a continuous current to the glow plugs while the tractor is running and the alternator is unable to keep up and recharge the battery. Tractor still will operate fine without timer plugged in circuit. You can manually activate the glow plugs still by overiding the start circuit pull up pto switch or put range selector in gear and turn key to start. It is fairly expensive part to replace.

That makes sense - I will check it out when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Well, when I disconnected the relay completely - the tractor would not start. I had to leave 2 of the 3 leads and then it would start. Either way, no increase in voltage at the battery. I probably will need to replace it to see if that is the issue. Anything else I can check? or ideas? Thanks

/ JD 4110 won't charge battery #9  
I have a PDF of the Deere Tech manual you're welcome to. If wanted shoot me your email

Joe

Thanks but I have the manual. It covers a lot of things but not everything!