Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Default JD 4110 won't charge battery

I have checked the alternator and it has a good battery.

Replaced the voltage regulator and start switch (ignition/key switch).

Symptoms - no light for battery when key switch is in Run

Battery runs down when tractor is used but starts with no problem.

I have replaced the bulb for the battery discharge indicator.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Default Re: JD 4110 won't charge battery

Charging circuit is not working. You're running off your battery until it's dead. You need around 14.25- 14.5 volts at the battery when the tractor is running - what is it reading?
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

Unplug the wiring harness from the glow plug timer and see if voltage comes up.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Yes, the voltage at the battery is around 12.5. I have tested the alternator per the shop manual and it appears to be working as well. The battery charges normally. I have replaced the voltage regulator. The alternator on this unit is a 20A alternator. I have done quite a few of the tests and have not located a problem. Why does the alternator light not come on? Thanks for the response.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Not sure what the glow plug timer looks like? I can try that when I get home tonight. Can you give me some detail? Thanks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

There is a small plastic box mounted on bracket over the radiator. There will be a plug in harness just disconnect it from the module. If the timer goes bad it can draw a continuous current to the glow plugs while the tractor is running and the alternator is unable to keep up and recharge the battery. Tractor still will operate fine without timer plugged in circuit. You can manually activate the glow plugs still by overiding the start circuit pull up pto switch or put range selector in gear and turn key to start. It is fairly expensive part to replace.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    There is a small plastic box mounted on bracket over the radiator. There will be a plug in harness just disconnect it from the module. If the timer goes bad it can draw a continuous current to the glow plugs while the tractor is running and the alternator is unable to keep up and recharge the battery. Tractor still will operate fine without timer plugged in circuit. You can manually activate the glow plugs still by overiding the start circuit pull up pto switch or put range selector in gear and turn key to start. It is fairly expensive part to replace.
    That makes sense - I will check it out when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Well, when I disconnected the relay completely - the tractor would not start. I had to leave 2 of the 3 leads and then it would start. Either way, no increase in voltage at the battery. I probably will need to replace it to see if that is the issue. Anything else I can check? or ideas? Thanks

I have a PDF of the Deere Tech manual you're welcome to. If wanted shoot me your email

Joe

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Thanks but I have the manual. It covers a lot of things but not everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast