Tractor
    B2150

Default Woods 750 backhoe repair

I have a Woods 750 backhoe subframe attached to a kubota B2150. A piece of timber broke the hydraulic fitting mounted to the top of the swing cylinder. The fitting is a 1/4x1/4 90 degree witha 1/16" restrictor (used to move the boom left). I don't know why it uses a restrictor to move left, but none to move right.
    At any rate, I can't totally unscrew the fitting because it hits the frame weldment assembly. The only thing I can think of is to partially remove the entire swingframe assembly to get enough clearance.
    Anybody out there have a better idea or guidance? Also, I can't manually move the boom which I thought I would be able to do since the broken line removes hydraulic pressure.
    Thanks so much in advance. This discussion group is great! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac 4500

Default Re: Woods 750 backhoe repair

I only know the answers to one of your questions. The reason for having an orifice on one side but not the other is to try to balance out the swing rate in both directions. Since the surface area on the piston is smaller on the rod side the volume is less on that side. If there were no orifice, the boom would move faster in one direction than the other which you don't want.

JackIL

Tractor
    '04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48

If by moving your boom, you can get to the fitting and remove it, than move your boom manually. The cost of replacing your fluid is minimal, dont worry about that. ***Catch the fluid in a container***, dont let it just fall to the ground. I've used recovered/ filtered oil before without problems and have seen it done as well. Usually, its best to put fresh, clean, new oil back in your unit. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Franz

Gold Member

in order to manualy swing your hoe, you may have to loosen, or remove the line on the other end of the cyl. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Can you take the pin put of that end of the cylinder? If you can then you can swing the cylinder out to where you can get to it.
    A reducer on one side will also reduce the flow on the other side. The fluid goes in one side at a time, but it has to go out the other side. If you reduce the flow to either side, it will slow down both directions.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Common sense reminder.... be careful if you remove a pin, because the unit could then swing freely. Lots of weight to punish you with and nothing to slow it down [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Use some something to limit the swing so you don't pinch yourself too badly. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How do you suppose they got the fitting in there when it was built? Before they mounted it to the frame, maybe? I hate it when I try to repair something and end up disassembling it, only to find out all I had to do was remove some little do-dad over there and the job would have been done in 5 minutes. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, well. Good excersice in learning how something was assembled. Helps with future maintenance. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a wd750 on an Ingersoll that I have disassembled for rebuild. I think if you remove the chains that go around the boom the cylinder will turn on the piston so that you can get at the fittings. There is a hole in the lower support for the boom for putting a pin in to keep the boom from turning and for adjustment when retightining the chains to insure they are even. You need only loosen them and remove the pins that hold them to the cylinder. : [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]