Yanmar YM1500

/ Yanmar YM1500 #1  

aaronr

Tractor
yanmar ym1500
hey guys ive been rebuilding a yanmar ym 1500 that i pulled out of my parents field. finished rebuilding the motor and now it will not move. pto works fine and the motor is all new. i need help. thank you in advance

/ Yanmar YM1500 #2  
We'd need to know more than you've said so far. Do you mean the motor does not move (turn over) or the tractor does not move? Does the motor run? Can you shift to different gears? Does the PTO stop when you push in the clutch? Did you do any other work besides rebuild the engine? Do you know why it sat in a field?
Jim

/ Yanmar YM1500
Motor runs like brand new the tractor itself does not move pto works correctly. It set in the field due to my step dad being ignorant and he didn't know how to fix it and was to cheap to pay somebody. When it messed up on him it didn't matter what gear it was in the tractor would not move so he left it in the field to ruin

/ Yanmar YM1500 #4  
Sounds like something wrong in the transmission or differential. Some of the dealers who post in the Yanmar forum can supply a parts catalog (in Japanese, but with complete parts breakdown). Bought one for mine and have found it to be invaluable. There are two varieties--red and green. You need to specify which you have. FWIW, the YM1500 is pretty common and most parts are pretty easy to find.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM1500 #5  
Check and make sure clutch is not rusted and stuck to shaft they usually stick in engaged but its worth a try remember even tho this is a small machine it will kill you be carefull

/ Yanmar YM1500 #6  
Check and make sure clutch is not rusted and stuck to shaft they usually stick in engaged but its worth a try remember even tho this is a small machine it will kill you be carefull

Good thought--I overlooked the possibility of a frozen clutch. However, if the PTO is working, the clutch has to be engaged on this model. If he can't shift into gear while the engine is running that might be the problem. He would also have to engage the PTO while the engine was off.

/ Yanmar YM1500 #7  
Call this a wild shot in the dark!
Might just be transmission shifter forks that have 'mixed' the gears.
Easy to check and fix, pull cover and manually shift all gears to neutral, re assemble cover and go.

Shifter forks move the gears and often the slots where the shifter arm slide in and out get worn and the arm drops the fork but moves on to select another gear thus having the tranny in 2 gears and consequently 'locked up'. I think most common is 1 st and reverse as often the same set of gears are used.

If that is the case, weld adding a bit of metal to the worn spot can cure things as sometimes even pinching a slot closed a bit with vise grips.

/ Yanmar YM1500 #8  
If you jack it up and put it in neutral can you rotate the rear wheels? I had to break mine free when I started fixing a Kubota I bought, the brakes were stuck shut.