Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank...

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #1  

mark02tj

Veteran Member
Tractor
2005 JD 3520
Here's one that I haven't seen on TBN... I was fueling up my JD 3520 using one of those stupid new designed fuel cans where you have to push down on the nozzle to let the fuel flow into the tank. I was just about done emptying the 5 gallon can and when I lifted the can off the edge of the fuel tank (where it was resting to hold it open - as per the stupid new design! :thumbdown:), the end of the nozzle came apart and went into my fuel tank! SHEESH! So as near as I can figure right now, I have two little rubber washers, a little plastic spacer, a nozzle about 8" long and a spring in my tractor's fuel tank now.

I really need to get my grass cut (not to mention the much needed Deere therapy that I was looking forward too!) so my question is: Will it hurt to leave that stuff in the tank for a while? I'm assuming that there's some sort of screen in the bottom of the tank to keep the "big stuff" from even making it into the fuel line and the fuel filter. Plus, it would help to empty the tank some before I have to pull it out of the tractor to get this crap out.

The fuel can must have read my mind as I was standing there fueling the tractor. I had just been thinking that I was going to order some old-fashioned plastic vent caps off Amazon and also look for new nozzles for these stupid cans. Then she flew apart! :mur:

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #2  
Re: Stupid Fuel Cans!

I have never found another hose or nozzle that woud fit on my stupid can so it is just used to refill my good old fashioned cans.

Not sure how your tractors fuel tank is made so not much help there either.

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #3  
I hope you don't mind that I laughed at your thread title. I sympathize with your plight, though.

Pity they don't make magnets for plastic and rubber. No idea if the tank has its own screen or not, sorry.

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #4  
It probably won't cause a problem if you can't get it out but a set of mechanical fingers has about 18 to 24 inches of reach you can get a cheap set at harbor freight good fishing

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #5  
I don't think it will be a problem as those items are not soluble in diesel fuel and too big to get into the fuel line pickup. Not sure how to get them out though. I do have some experience because I managed to drop one of those little HF LED flashlights right into the fuel tank a while back. I managed to fish it out with one of those bendy spring loaded grabber things (also from HF). No harm done and the flashlight still works.

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #6  
Mechanical finger when tank is nearly empty and a good bright light should be able to fish those out. A magnet should get the spring and maybe the washer. If you have a magnet, I would try to get the small spring out as it may be small enough to get into the fuel line. The rest can wait till you have lowered the fuel level so it is easier to see.

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #7  
none of that should be able to plug or go thru the tank tap... it's just a passanger now.

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank...
I hope you don't mind that I laughed at your thread title.

Yeah, laugh at a guy with problems. I'm glad that I could bring a little sunshine to your day!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::D

Thanks for all the replies! I figured that this stuff would be too big to pull through, but I do want to get it out sometime soon. As soundguy said, they're just passengers now. :laughing: The spring is actually somewhere around 1/2" diameter and about 5 or 6" long so I'm not too worried about it. I do like the suggestion to get one of those little springy-finger things from HF though. I'll be up in town tomorrow so I'll stop by HF and pick one up.

It's time to get some real fuel cans.

/ Stupid Fuel Cans! Nozzle came apart in my fuel tank... #10  
I don't think it will be a problem as those items are not soluble in diesel fuel and too big to get into the fuel line pickup. Not sure how to get them out though. I do have some experience because I managed to drop one of those little HF LED flashlights right into the fuel tank a while back. I managed to fish it out with one of those bendy spring loaded grabber things (also from HF). No harm done and the flashlight still works.

I remember when I was a kid another kid dropped a flashlight down a Outhouse hole!!
Of course we left it there! It did burn for 2 days! That's back when they made REAL batteries.