Broken bush hog blade

/ Broken bush hog blade #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
So my Dad was out mowing yesterday and hit an old stump or big chunk of wood and this happened. Blade broke and punched a small hole in the side of the deck to boot. It looks like half of the blade around the hole had been cracked for awhile. I'm ordering the repair parts today. I'm ordering two new blades and new bolts. I'm afraid if I don't get both blades the worn one will cause out of balance issues. New bolts because I'm not sure I'll be able to get the old bolts free without a torch/grinder. Since I don't weld, I'm going to have the hole heated back together and patched up then I'll put some paint on it.

IMG_20140930_183519788[1].jpg

/ Broken bush hog blade #2  
You are absolutely correct,replace both blades and bolts after you cut them off.You will not be able to remove the bolts with-out cutting them.
I broke a blade on a brand new Landpride cutter this summer(2hours on it),the dealer replaced both blades at cost.I know I hit a rock.
Double check your slip clutch/shear pin.

/ Broken bush hog blade #3  
Is it puzzling there's no wear on the hole where the blade pivots? The crack/break lines look as if you're right - it's been weak for a while. But why isn't the blade pivot hole shiny?
Jim

/ Broken bush hog blade #4  
Is it puzzling there's no wear on the hole where the blade pivots? The crack/break lines look as if you're right - it's been weak for a while. But why isn't the blade pivot hole shiny?
Jim

It does look like the blade was froze to the bolt, something has to give when they hit something.

/ Broken bush hog blade
It does look like the blade was froze to the bolt, something has to give when they hit something.

Jim

I'm not sure why the hole isn't shiny, but both blades spun freely. I found that out when I wrapped some wire around it a few weeks ago. Didn't notice the crack though.

I suppose I should count myself lucky that the blade didn't shoot out into the tire.

/ Broken bush hog blade #7  
Jim
I think the other half of the blade would have the hole shiny and the no wear on the half you see.

/ Broken bush hog blade #8  
I think the other half of the blade would have the hole shiny and the no wear on the half you see.

Yes - exactly right.
Centrifugal force unloads the pictured side of the hole and loads the half we don't see.

/ Broken bush hog blade #9  
I broke one just like that a few years ago

/ Broken bush hog blade #10  
For that hole in the deck, just hammer it closed. If you have a torch you can weld it back together with coat hangers. Just get it red hot and melt the coat hanger into the crack. Just like brazing but with hangers.