how to set points on john deere 3020

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #1  

dvaidm

Tractor
3020 john deere and 50 john deere
I am do tune-up on my 3020 john deere and replace the cap I was wondering how go and set the points ?

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #2  
My high school shop teacher told us to use a thin dime, and if we didn't have one, to use two nickels.
You should reference a manual or internet video to see how. It would be hard to explain without visual aids.
Dave

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #3  
Your tractor would probably run better if you installed electronic ign. instead of points.

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #4  
First of all you need to know what gap it specs.

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #5  
The spec for most points is .028" I believe. I could be wrong on that as I'm just going by memory. I usually set new points as wide as I can so that I don't have to reset them right away again as they wear in. Make sure you use the lube that's provided.

If you want to go electronic Pertronix makes two different models that fit. Their Ignitor is part number 1145A and the Ignitor 2 is 91145A. If you Google Pertronix the web site will tell you all about it. I've used them on several different engines with good success. If you Google the part number then you'll find them for sale on line.

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #6  
Your tractor would probably run better if you installed electronic ign. instead of points.

Best way to go never worry about point's again :cool2:

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #8  
YEP come with instructions eraser than Points I think.

/ how to set points on john deere 3020
Which electronic ignition would you use

/ how to set points on john deere 3020 #10  
Tractordata.com says point gap is 0.022".

All of the tuneup data is there also.