cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair

/ cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair #1  

benson1

Tractor
cub cadet powershaft 6284
benson1@q.comHave had this fixed 2 times and is broke again .I think they have wrong drive shaft It seem to short. Where the split is attached washers are used to make it further apart>Was done at a Cub Cadet
service dealer ?Does anyone know the length of the short shaft ?Or have any idea or comment Cadet
DSCN2217.JPGDSCN2218.JPGDSCN2219.JPGDSCN2220.JPGDSCN2221.JPGDSCN2222.JPG

Last edited:
   / cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair #2  
This one might be a good one to ask in the Cub Cadet forum

/ cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair
thank you

benson1@q.comHave had this fixed 2 times and is broke again .I think they have wrong drive shaft It seem to short. Where the split is attached washers are used to make it further apart>Was done at a Cub Cadet
service dealer ?Does anyone know the length of the short shaft ?Or have any idea or comment Cadet
View attachment 395218View attachment 395219View attachment 395220View attachment 395221View attachment 395222View attachment 395223

Does anyone have any Idea Please :confused:

/ cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair #5  
You might know what broke and was fixed but it's not obvious from either your post or your pics.

the short shaft does not seat all the way on the rear splines. See my finger pointing. Where the 2 meet many washers were used to space it out. Does not seem right. Do not know how to explain any better sorry. Thanks.

/ cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair #7  
If the splines don't engage far enough, I'd make the shaft longer or buy a longer one. I'm a machinist, so I'd get rid of all the washers and spacer plate. I'd cut the shaft in the middle and weld in a piece of tubing to make it the right length. If you can't do it yourself you'll have to have a machine shop do it. Would be an easy job.

The alternative would be to make a thick spacer plate to replace the washers and existing spacer plate and make the splines engage farther. It might be easier to assemble with this method.

/ cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair #8  
the short shaft does not seat all the way on the rear splines. See my finger pointing. Where the 2 meet many washers were used to space it out. Does not seem right. Do not know how to explain any better sorry. Thanks.

Where did it break?

The short shaft was replaced at dealer. Seems to short to me. It is not broke apart now. But bangs all over and broke u shaped guard. That was welded over the shaft.So it is actually still together in pictures.

/ cub cadet powershaft 6284 split drive shaft repair #10  
I can't see it in the pictures, but is there a u joint at each end of that shaft?