Stuck filter

/ Stuck filter #1  

Bfitzgerald3

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Mx5100
I went to replace my HST filter on a Kubota MX5100. I was literally hanging on the filter wrench, putting probably 150 ft-lbs torque on it. The thing wouldn't budge. Suggestions? I have ideas, but don't want to reef on it too hard for hear of damaging the threads/nipple on the tractor.

/ Stuck filter #2  
Have you tried it when it's warm?

I would adjust the filter wrench so it is at the top or bottom where there is solid material...cinch the wrench tight and strike it with a mallet...

Good Luck...

/ Stuck filter #3  
You can also tap on the filter a few times with a mallet. Is this the first time you've changed this filter. I have seen this on cars as well. It usually happens when the filter is put on dry. Good luck getting it off and put a little oil of the new filter gasket before installing.

/ Stuck filter #4  
I've had several filters on new cars that were very stubborn. Its one of my pet peeves. I have a very large channel lock pliers I use to get them off. Problem is at some point you are committed since you have pretty much mangled the old filter and have to get it off at that point. Like someone said above, if you can get on the base of it that helps.

/ Stuck filter #5  
I've had several filters on new cars that were very stubborn. Its one of my pet peeves. I have a very large channel lock pliers I use to get them off. Problem is at some point you are committed since you have pretty much mangled the old filter and have to get it off at that point. Like someone said above, if you can get on the base of it that helps.

I currently have about 10 filter wrenches now of various sizes. Broke two trying to remove stubborn filters over the years. On some I had to resort to driving a large screwdriver through the filter then use it as leverage to get the filter off. But I'm sure no one else has ever done that before.

/ Stuck filter #6  
I recently bought one of the filter wrench pliers from HF based on recommendations from TBN members. I haven't used them yet but now all my filters have been changed at least once so I don't anticipate any future hard to remove items. You will have to really tug on it to get them off the first time regardless of which one it is, motor or hydraulic.

/ Stuck filter #7  
i generally use one of those car seatbelp type strap wrenches as you can put it where you want... but those hf vice grip filter spanners do work nice too.

in any event. if your regular methods do not work, the gasket may have glued itself to the casting.. may have been cross threaded or put on overly tight and warped the base..

take a cold chissle and slart it at the base of the filter. don't get into thge casting underneath. if you don't feel safe about that.. get a metal putty knife and slide it under the edge as a backer for the chissle to ride against .. then dap it with a drilling hammer. the chissle should spin the filter till it can be loosened. this also works good on bung style drain capsand rounded nuts.. etc..

/ Stuck filter #8  
That was a good tip from Soundguy. I have done that on rounded nuts. A chain wrench will also take off very stubborn oil filters.

/ Stuck filter #9  
Dumb question, are you going the correct direction? Other than that I've never had one I couldn't remove with a metal band filter wrench situated at the base as to not crush the filter. New cars are pretty common with these dry filters tightened down hard.

/ Stuck filter #10  
Dumb question, are you going the correct direction? Other than that I've never had one I couldn't remove with a metal band filter wrench situated at the base as to not crush the filter. New cars are pretty common with these dry filters tightened down hard.

I guess you've never got one of the filters put on by hand tight by the 900 lb. gorilla at the assembly plant. Or you at least have the strength of one to remove them.