cutting oil

/ cutting oil #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
what do you guys use when you are drilling and tapping in steel. I use to never use any but I've read it makes your cutting tools last longer and keep them cool. I've thought motor oil would be good. Some say they use wd40. I think that is a little to thin for that. So whats up.

/ cutting oil #2  
They do make purpose made cutting oil.Check with your plumbing supply houses.

/ cutting oil #3  
I use WD40 on aluminum. I use dark cutting oil on steel (same stuff plumbers use for threading pipe). For tapping I use TapMagic cutting fluid.

/ cutting oil #4  
Using cutting oil does a couple things... lubricates keeping heat down and carries heat away by flooding if you use a lot of it. For small jobs I think WD40 works fine.

/ cutting oil #5  
Right now I'm using my own home brew concoction of straight 30 weight detergent motor oil and GM ATF ...

Mostly it's whatever I have lying around that I have no other use for ...

/ cutting oil #6  
For steel, I use thread cutting oil (Rigid brand maybe?) sold at Home Depot in the plumbing isle. For aluminum I use WD40 or Tap-Magic.

/ cutting oil #7  
I like Marvel Mystery Oil.

/ cutting oil #8  
Right now I'm using my own home brew concoction of straight 30 weight detergent motor oil and GM ATF ...

Mostly it's whatever I have lying around that I have no other use for ...
any lubricant is better than no lubricant. I use tap magic for taps and spray lube for drilling

/ cutting oil #9  
any lubricant is better than no lubricant. ...
Yup ... that's pretty much what I figured ... and it's more or less proved to be true: none of my large S&D bits or Lennox Bi-Metal Holesaws have dulled appreciably in the 10 or so years I've had 'em ...

Always a kick to see how long of an "apple peel" you can get when using the drill press ... I think I've managed to get around 18" or so ... before it starts slapping not just the column but me as well ... :laughing:

Sacrificing that Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is gonna be a tough one tho' ...

/ cutting oil #10  
any lubricant is better than no lubricant. I use tap magic for taps and spray lube for drilling

How well do the "specialty" cutting oils adhere to the drill and hole?

I seem to have had a lot of holes to make where the work was vertical. Anything dripped on immediately ran off. So I switched to chain-saw bar oil. It's sticky. And I have several gallons. I pour a little in a bottle cap, dip the bit in it and proceed.