Need a sealant for INSIDE carburetor (for ethanol)

/ Need a sealant for INSIDE carburetor (for ethanol) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
I have a nice little Honda EX1000 generator, tried to use it to run my sump pump during a recent power outage but it leaked gas out the overflow.

Took carb apart to clear the float needle seat and found that it was leaking from the plastic fitting OUTSIDE the needle seat. I need some kind of sealant to go around this plastic or nylon fitting. Any recommendations?

The float assembly
EX1000_0.jpg

Wooden dowel with a glove-finger for a seal
EX1000_1.jpg

Needle hole plugged
EX1000_2.jpg

Where the gas is leaking from. I tried to pull the needle seat unit out, to look for an o-ring back in there but it didn't want to come out, seemed like it might break before coming out.
EX1000_2notes.jpg

If anybody KNOWS that this seat comes out and has an o-ring back there, please advise. Otherwise I'd like to put some kind of ethanol-resistant sealant all around it. HAs anyone tested JB weld in ethanol? And would JBweld stick to that white nylon?

/ Need a sealant for INSIDE carburetor (for ethanol) #3  
It can be pried out and there is an O ring around that fitting. I have pulled one in an emergency and replaced the ring. the little retainer fingers will tend to break off when pried.

/ Need a sealant for INSIDE carburetor (for ethanol)
Thanks Cory. Yep not shown as a separate part. It leaks a lot, enough to fill the carb bowl quickly, RandyT I can't imagine how a failed o-ring could flow that much, except dried out & separated? The generator's been sitting, with dry bowl, for maybe 7 years.

This epoxy might be better, I need it to "flow" really seal the juncture between the nylon and the carb metal body.

5DFV0_AS01.JPG

/ Need a sealant for INSIDE carburetor (for ethanol) #6  
All seal is a product for repairing things in gas. Google it. Used it last to seal leak on Nissan gas tank. Red and yellow tube.

All seal is a product for repairing things in gas. Google it. Used it last to seal leak on Nissan gas tank. Red and yellow tube.

Looks good! By the makers of Shoo Goo & "Goop".

=============================================
SealAllGlue.gif

Seal-All, The all-purpose contact adhesive & sealant

Gas and Oil resistant

In a class of its own, 鍍he repair kit in a tube is not affected by gasoline, oil, alcohol, water and most solvents, making it ideal for automotive and garage repairs.
Seal-All dries fast without sacrificing strength. Dry speed is 2? minutes, with a 2? hour full cure time, making it perfect for in the garage, around the house or on the go.
PROPERTIES OF CURED MATERIAL
Hardness: 90A
Tensile strength: 7,250 lb./in.2 (ASTM D-412)
Elongation: 25% (ASTM D-412)
Chemical resistance: Excellent to water, oil, gasoline, alcohol, dilute acids, dilute bases
Service temperature
range: -40ーF (-40ーC) to 150ーF (66ーC)
Paint-over time: 8 hours
UV-resistance: To maximize UV resistance, paint over Seal-All
=============================================

/ Need a sealant for INSIDE carburetor (for ethanol) #9  
seal all works well ... need several layers cause its very thin .... takes a bit of time to cure between applications ...

need several layers cause its very thin ....

Very good to know, thx. Pretty sure I need a sealant that's thin, will seep in. My local hardware store has it on the shelf! Anyone who's local to Seattle knows what store I'm talkin' about!